1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need New Key for Lock Nut on '04 Silverado LS EXT 5.3L

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by leroy.jr1025, Jan 23, 2014.

1. leroy.jr1025

leroy.jr1025 New Member

I recently came across a blowout on my rear passenger tire and when attempting to remove it I was unable to loosen the lock nut. It has a special key that is used to remove it, but mine appears to be stripped. The shop was eventually able to get it off but the key is completely shot. I would like to find a replacement for this key so I can remove the other three and replace them with regular lug nuts. Any ideas where I can find one of these replacements???
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Air chisel works just fine, I took mine off this way no problem.
  3. BRB46

BRB46 Member 100 Posts

If you have the number for the key you could email the manufacturer for a replacement or as stated prior air chisel will make short work of removing them
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Did you look in the glove box? the "key" is a socket that fits the wheel wrench, it is usually stored in the truck, usually in the glove box.
  5. leroy.jr1025

leroy.jr1025 New Member

Yea I know. I have the "key" it is stripped though.
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Sorry, I read that and them forgot what I read (need face palm).
  7. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

No need to buy any parts or tools you don't already have. Just take your truck to any wheel/tire shop. They should have a special socket that can remove locking lug nuts. Just have a shop take them off. That is such a mundane task, most shops should do it for free.
  8. leroy.jr1025

leroy.jr1025 New Member

I've tried that, none around me have them. They tell me they are made specifically to a certain key. Obviously for protective reasons.
  9. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

None of the shops will have the specific key socket that will remove your locking lug but they should have an air wrench socket that will go on the outside of the locking lug nut. This socket will dig into the metal of the lug nut and take it off. Any tire shop should have this socket on-hand. I used to work at tire shop and we used this socket all the time. I swear, about half the people that had locking lug nuts on their cars didn't even know it so when you asked for their key socket, they had no idea where it was. We removed locking lug nuts on a daily basis with the "grabber" socket I am talking about. I don't see how any tire shop could operate without one.
  10. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

AIR CHISEL ------- 5 minutes your done

Any reputable tire shop should have the universal key, keep trying other shops.