Need New Transfer Case

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by tlavergne, Jan 20, 2011.

  1. tlavergne

    tlavergne New Member

    I have a 1999 3/4 ton Suburban with a 454 engine with 109,000 miles. I blew the seal on my transfer case on a road trip last weekend and lost all the fluid. I need a new transfer case, a rebuild, or one from a wrecking yard. Any suggestions as to the most cost effective option?
  2. Crawdaddy

    Crawdaddy All hail the Mad King!! Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

    If you just blew the seal, you should be able to simply replace the seal, fill it back up and drive on. That is, provided you didn't drive more than maybe 10 miles on a dry transfer case.
  3. tlavergne

    tlavergne New Member

    It blew out over the last weekend on a drive from New Hampshire back to Ohio. At highway speeds you couldn't hear it. Lost all fluid and it is trashed. I can still drive it (filled it back up with fluid) but the noise indicates it is badly damaged. Just checked on prices from several local FLAPS...about $1400. Time to start calling wrecking yards.

Share This Page

Newest Gallery Photos