1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Need Non-Bose Radio Wiring Diagram for 09 Silverado

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by 98Hotrod98, Jul 1, 2011.

1. 98Hotrod98

98Hotrod98 Rockstar 100 Posts

I have been looking everywhere for a diagram of the OEM connectors behind the factory head unit. I have an aftermarket radio and i'm not spending the $150 bucks on the onstar/chime adapter which is apparently all they make for my year model. SO i'm gona just cut the oem plugs and splice em together with some good connectors.

Anybody have the factory wiring diagram for the 2 factory plugs?

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Check metraonline.com But do NOT cut the factory wires....

3. 98Hotrod98

metra doesnt seem to make one without the $100 adapter. All of our local shops use metra, and i've looked at em with no luck.

why not cut factory wires, its the way it used to be done back in the day before harnesses.

4. redneck70

redneck70 Rockstar

Don't have a diagram but here's what they all do.

Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Red/White
    Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Dark Green
    Radio Ground Wire: Black
    Stereo Dimmer Wire: Yellow

Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Tan
    Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Gray
    Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
    Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green

Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown
    Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
    Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Blue
    Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue

5. 98Hotrod98

Thanks for you help,
    I was able to locate a harness at cartoys.com that does exactly what i need. I'll post of the model number when i get back from there incase anybody else needs it.

6. lquattro04

lquattro04 Rockstar

i wouldnt cut the wires. as soon as you do that you void any warranty you have left on everything electrical. Plus in the long run, the $100 you spend will be worth way more than the headaches from a head unit just dangling in your truck because you cant figure out which wire is correctly connected.

7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Whatever you do, do NOT cut the factory wiring off. Please... There's reasons that the module exists. With these newer trucks all the wires are not directly derived from wires in the dash due to the advent of computers and CANbus wiring. You might be able to scrounge up the wires from various parts of the truck, but do yourself and future owner of the vehicle a favor and get the module. You'll also keep the door chimes and other critical alert and safety chimes, which you'd lose otherwise.

8. 98Hotrod98

Thanks for all your help.
    I ended up not going with that expensive adapter and instead went with a Metra 70-2105 harness for 2006 and Up Impala. Fits the OEM harness and only cost $15. Of course now i don't have the annoying door chime, and the onstar which i never used, but at least if i ever wanted it in the future i could also add the adapter.

I still soldered and shrink wrapped all my connections, just didn't have to cut the OEM harness.

9. Chevy Newby

Chevy Newby Rockstar

thank God you didnt cut the wires, there are aways around situations like that and what you did will work fine. just dont cut the wires. And the wiring color code that the member gave earlier is accurate as far as I been doing mobile audio for the past 15 years. GM has not changed there color code in decades. Hope the new radio works out for you. What are you putting in there anyway?

10. 98Hotrod98

Pioneer AVH-P3300BT.

Install went well, only issue i ended up having was finding a "safe" 12v accessories source inside the firewall, But i ended up finding one on the power block near my brake pedal. Apparently GM leaves a 15amp and 30amp accessory circuit there with an ignition on/off circuit.

I also installed a hidden ground switch so i can bypass the dvd player parking brake crap.