1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

need opinios on cam and headers

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by ponyxpress, Jan 24, 2011.

1. ponyxpress

ponyxpress New Member

Ok I am new here I have a 2002 GMC Sierra shortbed with the the 4.8 motor. I have already done the CAI, Flowmaster muffler and SuperChips hand held tuner. now I want to do a cam to give it that nice lobey sound I also was looking into getting longtube headers so what would you guys recommend thanks in advance. the truck is my DD and I will be using it to tow my 53 Chevy HotRod. thanks again
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Bob, any set of equal length, long tube headers from a well known manufacturer will be good as long as the primary tube diameter is not over 1 5/8" inch (1 1/2" inch would be even better for the 4.8L
    Picking a cam is almost as easy. You are going to want one than develops torque in the lower RPM range since you will be towing your hot rod & trailer. Weigh the car & trailer & call a few of the cam manufacturers & go with the grind that they recommend. Edelbrock, & Crane do a lot of R & D on "towing" cams (as well as all other applications) so I would call them first.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X2 what stephan said about the long tubes and the cam. Dynatech and AmericanRacingHeaders have very good longtubes. CompCams has a large selection on cams for the 4.8. In the past I used quite a few Crane cams with very good results but thery were purchased last year by S&S after going out of bussiness do to mismanagment so I don't know anything about the company now. Edelbrock doesn't recoomend there cams for trucks with the 4.8,5.3 or 6.0. There cams are designed for lighter vehicles like cars. I would call CompCams toll free tech line.
  4. IPFK83

IPFK83 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Dynatech long tube headers well worth the money love mine. When I order my cam which I have still yet to install wifey says I need to stop spending money so no custom tune yet comp cams recommended their 54-424-11 which is a 212/218 .558 intake .563 exht 115 LSA and their 26918 beehive springs.
  5. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Get a cam and headers for a LS7 doesn't matter what brand the key to this upgrade is to be very carefull not to dislodge the LS7 motor thats attached to them and put that in your truck you should feel some extra power
  6. IPFK83

IPFK83 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

yeah that would work too