1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need Serious Help ASAP

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by MudStuck01, Oct 13, 2010.

1. MudStuck01

MudStuck01 Member

Hey everyone and thanks in advance for helping. I have a couple of serious issues on my surburban. 2001 1500 5.3 2wd body lift with 35s w/ 140,000mls.
    Symptoms:
    No start if it sits for more than a day
    when you turn it over it takes a few trys to start
    when it does crank it takes like 1-2 secs for the oil pressure to rise to operating pressure
    idles poorly, if i stop at a light it acts like its running out of fuel and a few times has actually shut off.
    abs pump whines very bad and throws codes

I have had issues with this truck for 4 years now on and off.

Replaced the fuel filter probably 6 times and it isnt dirty but everytime i have done it, it has seemed to help for a little with the performance of the motor. Now it just doesnt help at all. Pull the ABS pump fuse so i run it with no ABS at all (no issues either). My main problem is the starting part. I have put new batteries in it and a new alternator.

I went to my uncles mechanical shop and he helped me kinda of diagnose or track down where the issue might be coming from. We hooked checked the draw on the battery with the key off doors shut and hood light disconnected. It has a 6 volt draw which is pretty steep. With the VAC machine hooked up (checks the draw) we starting unplugging things; starter, alternator, fuel pump, a/c compressor and a few other things. Started pulling the fuses one by one- nothing. We took the fuse panel under the hood apart and started disconnecting the actual harness from the fuse panel and the gauge dropped to no draw. Take a look at the actual fuses that go to this separate harness and its the interior accessories that are causing a draw, or so we think.

So my question is has anyone had any of these issues before??!! Is there somewhere i should look first before i have to take all the interior panels out. I need some serious professional help. I can pull a transmission motor install change a water pump whatever but electrical issues stump me. My uncle cant afford to help me anymore being too busy (what an ass i know but what can i do). So i have it back at my house so im on my own. Thanks for the help in advance!
    1 person likes this.
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I have NOT had these issues before with a 2001 (your veh.) but I have chased electrical gremlins before and 7 people have viewed your question and nobody has answered it, so I'll take a shot.
    Go out and disconnect your negative battery cable and hook one end of your test light to the negative battery post and the other end to the negative battery cable, & come back here and tell me what you see..

Disconnect your hood light before you do this & make sure you didn't leave anything else on inside the truck.
    Be sure and test your test light on the battery FIRST to make sure it works.
  3. MudStuck01

MudStuck01 Member

thanks for the reply stephan. everything off light unplugged only thing on in the truck is the security light flashing. test light works. disconnected battery and check and negative to negative gives me light.
  4. stephan

You're welcome MudStuck... OK, what is the security light that is flashing? Burglar alarm? If yes disconnect it and do the exact same test again. I know you will want to hook the alarm up again, I just need you to do the test with all the consumers (including the buglar alarm) off and/or unplugged, because it skews the test we are doing.

You better be using a test light like I asked and NOT a voltmeter ha ha.

Using a voltmeter to do this will just measure the battery voltage (minus the resistance loss in the cables, chassis & body) & knowing that, would be no help for your problem.
  5. MudStuck01

MudStuck01 Member

Yeah im using a test light- i dont have a voltmeter at my house. Its just flashing security, I dont know how to disconnect it- no fuses or anything that say "security" any ideas?
  6. stephan

Is this a GM security system that came in the truck or is it an add on system? I really have no idea where to disconnect it, but you will just have to follow the wires and disconnect it. It seems like there should be a plug at the security module/brain box (module: some kind of a plastic box)
    It is probably inside under the dash or in a kickpanel somewhere, so it's not out in the weather. Follow the wires from the light that is flashing and they should lead you to it. When you find it just unplug it, and if it does not have a plug, then follow the wires to where they hook up & disconnect the power wire.

BTW: just unplugging the flashing light won't help, because the alarm module will still be wired in.

edit** If you find that it is a GM alarm sys. and you can't trace the wires out to disconnect it, call Onstar & tell them you're stuck in a bad neighborhood and your truck won't start cuz the alarm is screwed up and would they please tell you where it is so you can unhook it haha
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  7. MudStuck01

MudStuck01 Member

Its a factory alarm/keyless entry. Its on the gauge cluster where it is flashing. I appreciate the help this late and tomorrow a.m. ill be out working on it and let you know! thanks again!
  8. stephan

What time zone are you in? I am Pacific.
  9. MudStuck01

MudStuck01 Member

Im eastern lol
  10. stephan

lol, OK see ya tomorrow