1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need shocks?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by BurtsBurb, Apr 9, 2010.

1. BurtsBurb

BurtsBurb Member

With 161K on the originals, suddenly I'm noticing a lot of suspension "jiggle" when the truck hits bumps, and on uneven pavement. Think it's time for new shocks?
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Id say so... also might be time to ensure you have good ball joints and tie rods... Just a general check up while your changing the shocks wouldnt hurt...
  3. Allmostsmart

Allmostsmart Rockstar

161K....I would say it wouldn't hurt, but if your unsure, unbolt each shock from the bottom and see how easy it is to compress the shock by hand. If its pretty easy I would say replace them. If they are still pretty stiff, as in pretty tuff to compress back up into place, keep them. If you do replace them remember you get what you pay for.
  4. drb

drb New Member

I need shocks too. I have a 93 gmc suburban and have one broken shock and two leaky ones. Just wondering what people are using as replacements. Is there a brand or model that is favoured on these vehicles?

I am looking for shocks that will give a nice comfy ride on the highway, and also support towing my 19 foot travel trailer once in a while. Most of the aftermarket shocks seem to be oriented to firmer ride for off-road.

Opinions please!

Darrell
  5. The_Duke

The_Duke New Member

I just had shocks put on my 03 Burb with 102k miles. It made a world of difference. There's no real downside to doing it at 163k, it's probably time. I also had front end aligned and tires balanced,too.
  6. Land Shark

Land Shark Rockstar 100 Posts

Do it...make sure you look around at different ones...I got Edelbrock Extreme travel. They are awsome.
  7. dannys99

dannys99 Rockstar

I put some kyb monomax shocks on my 99 and they are great, they are a bit stiff though.
  8. kdr358

kdr358 Member

I have monroe sensatracs on the front and monroe load adjusting coil overs on the back, a bit stiffer ride in the rear there a little more expensive.
  9. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

KYB Monomax. :D
    Good heavy-duty shocks for my old truck.
  10. raf1231

raf1231 Member

Bilstein HD are great shock but pricey, about $75 - $80 apeice -- but with a life time warranty.

Besides the suggest of checking your ball joints & tie-rod ends, check the upper & lower control arm bushings along with the front & rear sway bar bushings. if it's a 2x4, check the center-link, pitman arm & idler arm. And don't forget the rack & pinion have both inner & outer tie-rod ends.

Matter of fact, if you haven't touched your suspension for 161K, you need to check out the entire suspension system. I'd be greatly surprised if you can get by with only shocks. Your suspension system is one of the most important systems on the vehicle. It affects tire wear, steering and tracking. If something goes wrong with the suspension on a top-heavy vehicle, you could be looking at a roll-over.