Need some Advice on performance mods

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by greenmachine, Jan 18, 2008.

1. greenmachine

greenmachine New Member

My name is trey and i currently drive a 1996 Sierra. I've added a Cold Air Intake, Aeroturbine Exaughst, Throttle Body spacer, and now im debating on whether I should tune it, get headers put on (kind of expensive), or bore out and stroke the motor. It is a 5.7 350. Keep in mind I am just graduating highschool this year and i am some what tight on cash. My truck also has 160,000 miles on it to date. Im open to any suggestions

2. finalday7

finalday7 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

How's it going Trey. If your truck has 160,000 miles how's the maintenance been kept up. I'd say instead of doing a bore out stroker motor I'd work on things less expensive. Most important thing is getting the motor some new parts to get it in tip top shape for the future. New Plugs, wires, Spark plugs, 02 Senors that kind of thing. Upgrading your ignition system will yield some good results while making your truck more reliable. Tuner's are a great way to pick up some Hp and Torque and are fairly inexpensive. A dual fan upgrade will help alot and keep everything running cool. There's so many coutless boltons to do but just getting your high mileage engine running right should be step one. Hope this helps and if you have anymore questions just ask.

3. greenmachine

greenmachine New Member

hey thanks alot! I've been trying to take care of the truck best as i can, i havent had any major issues with the thing come up since I bought it. Good call on the ignition system tune up. What do you think about the accel tune up kit, plugs wires and distributer set up? I havent heard much about it..... Thanks again

4. finalday7

finalday7 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Accel makes a great product as dose MSD. Do you have any pics of your truck?

5. Holy Smoke

Holy Smoke Rockstar 100 Posts

Since your engine has 160k on it , have you given it a "pour in engine treatment"? v max, or restore, or others. Not only protect, might loosen up a lil power. you might be driving it harder also. :happy:

6. RatRod

RatRod Rockstar 100 Posts

I would check compression and make sure your motor is in great shape first and go on from there.

7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

IF you havent done it yet I'd say do a tune-up with new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, a cooling system flush, a transmission fluid/filter change, and change the rear differential oil.
    Then start banking money for a rainy day, with 160k on the clock you'll have to replace an expensive component or assembly sooner or later.
    Make a build plan of what you want to do to your truck so that when you do have to tear it apart you know what parts you want to change and what to keep.

8. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Try a GM drop in 383 stroker

Performance mods are fun. Before you start putting money into a fairly high mile motor consider a GM performance motor like the HT383E.They are literally drop in bolt on(you can bolt on your exhaust/intake/spacer etc).The big advantage is it is built by GM and will work perfectly with your ECM etc.It also come with a warranty.The downside is it costs $4400 delivered from any number of online crate motor sellers-Pace etc.
    These aren't the stock spec Goodwrench motors which you can buy for about $2300-delivered-but 5.7's that aren't 5.7's anymore(more like 6.2 liters) because they have been stroked to 3.8" from 3.45"(I think the 350/5.7 has a a 3.45" stroke).It also has a forged crank,4 bolts instead of 2 bolts hold the crank from flexing/twisting,and it has a different cam with more lift,less duration,and slightly less-9.1/1 instead of 9.4/1 compression.It puts out 340 hp-430 lb-ft instead of the 250 hp you get stock.
    Nothing short of NOX will give you another 100lb-ft or 90 hp.A stroker kit+ machining etc will probably cost you close to $2500,and you will still have your "weaker" crank setup.
    It is VERY,VERY hard to beat the OEM guys for reliability,MPG and ease of installation.
    Save your money-buy the GM stroker.
    Second choice-get a low powered NOX-maybe 50 or 75 hp)-but it might be hard on a high mile motor.
    Luck,
    Charlie

9. sierraman

sierraman Rockstar 100 Posts

my friend had a 96 sierra with the same motor with 120K on it, i would worry about getting it running strong before anything else, then you can try headers, programmer, and a shift kit in that order, my friends had an intake system,headers,programmer,... you name it he had it and it was a beast, but in the end the truck just wasnt worth putting all that money into so just be careful

10. greenmachine

greenmachine New Member

hey thanks, yeah my truck is running strong and i have been putting engine protectant in it, however, i do need to flush my tranny and differentials, thanks for the advice.