need some advice

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by zach45, Nov 7, 2008.

1. zach45

zach45 New Member

im 18 and first year of collage...
    i go to st johns here in NYC

my problem is i just dont want to be here..i would rather be working...
    im forced into collage by my mother...
    im trying my hardest to focus and do my work.. but in class i find myself playing with my keys and all kinds of stupid stuff, easily getting distracted..
    im just not happy in school..

as far as work, im not stranger to it.. summer time i run an ice cream truck working 70-80 hours a week...i plan to buy my own ice cream truck this year before the summer...and for the winter i have a few jobs that pay desent lined up.. now i free lance.. playing assistant to my friends on side jobs(tiles eletric work.. i work in a deli when they need me to. ill do any job under the sun)

i went to meet with my advisor yesterday and she asked me what i do for work how i work and what i want to do... she was baffled, and at a loss to tell me where i should go with my collage studies...
    by the way im not a stupid person.. i think of my self as a little above avg, and told my whole life that if i applied my self i would be the best student...i have plenty of street smarts..(trying not to be cocky)

what advce can you guys give me ..

ps. as you can see im not the best writer... sorry if this is a bit hard to read...
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  2. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member

I'm 29 years old and do not have the wisdom that some of the other members on this site have. But I can offer you this. I have been to college - by choice not force and a full enlistment in the Marines. I have learned that educaiton is important in these times. The current economic position we are all in dictates that the new working generation be as robust as possible. As somoeone once said "Be a jack of all trades but a master ONE". The more skill or education you have will go a long way. As you are 18 you probably aren't thinking too much about retirement. It takes a life time to create one. If your mom is footing the bill for your higher education it might be a good idea to take advantage of that.
    What ever you decide is your decision.
    Plus there are chicks in college.
    Good luck.
  3. bry2500

bry2500 New Member

Take college for all it's worth. Once your out here in the working world it's hard to get anywhere without an education. My plan was military then college but some unforseen circumstances halted that dream. Now I've been playing catch up and I'm still very far from where I should be. From experience let me tell you, I started working when i was 14 and I have worked more different jobs than I can rememberan I'm only 33. Most of them consisted of hard labor. Now I'm in a job where education is a must. The pay is better, the benefits are better and my stress level has dropped ten fold. This job does have it's days, I just posted about one.

My company is paying for college so Iam lucky, as you are. You have the oppourtunity to go full time which is great. I'm looking at 7 more years to a bachelors. Just remember with an education any job is within reach, but without one your choices are very limited. Also many employers are hesitant when they find out you have dropped out of college. I raises many questions in their minds. My brother dropped out of one the best business schools in the northeast and it has haunted him ever since. He is about one semester now from his degree at 35.

I'm just some guy online so you don't have to listen to me but I can't stress enough get an education. Even if you plan on a careeer as a carpenter, electrician, plumber or any other physical job. They have vocational schools for this. And with an education in these you can command more money for your time will be held in a higher light to the others.

An education is priceless no matter in what field, and you have the opportunity to a free one. Don't let it go. You will not regret it.

Ok Back to Trucks

I like the look of your silverado, was it hard to level it out?
  4. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator

My observation: a lot of short term thinking and no long term thinking. Let me ask this: can you see yourself driving an ice cream truck 70-80 hours/week in the summer and doing odd jobs in the winter in 10 years? 30 years? If not, what do you want to be doing in 10 years? 30 years?

You're young enough that you don't need to make a solid commitment yet to anything. I think you want to keep options open, explore different options, etc., though. Dropping out of college closes doors, and, no matter what anyone says, it's always harder to go back to college than you expect it to be. On the other hand, book learning isn't for everyone.

My advice at this point would be to stay in school, just to keep those options open to you. Since your school counselor hasn't been helpful in terms of school, see if he/she can refer you to a career counselor or someone who can look at your interests and skills and suggest some possible career paths. I guess what I'm really getting at is to start thinking in terms of long term career instead of short term "job"
  5. zach45

zach45 New Member

well i can see myself owning a few of them pulling 20-100k PROFIT off EACH one after payuing a driver...
    its a semi family biz so i have had my foot in the door for a while now..

and i spoke with both parents...
    im going to transfer to a tech. school and learn to work on motors..
    going out for the night, so ill get back to you guys later...

and leveling kit and rear blocks were so simple to install, to the point where i look down apon people who pay for people to install them
  6. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy New Member

lol i look down on people who are so rich and stuck up that they dont know how to paint a wall. I see it alot, but it's good business for me. And good buisness for you if they have to pay to do it. I can't stand paying anyone to do stuff.
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member

I didnt go to college prior to working (because I was a dumbass that thought he knew it all and really didnt know Sxxt). But as soon as I could I joined the military, and unfortunately waited until my second enlistment to start college (that the military paid for about 80% of). It probably took me a little longer to get my Masters because I was deployed a lot (16yrs for Associates, Batchelor, and Masters). But I feel it was worth it. I got to do a lot of traveling and experience many things I never would have otherwise.

Would I do it again at this time and climate?
    Yes, but I'd do some things different. I'd still join the Military, Coast Guard or Air Force though. Then I'd use every tuition assistance program they offer until they turned me down, by this time you should be ready to end your enlistment and have gotten at least an Associates Degree, then you can decide if you want to stay in and go for another degree, apply for a Commission, get out and become a full time student to earn a further degree, or use the skills the Military taught you along with your degree to get into the work force.
    An added benefit is that you can also travel and see the world while your taking college courses.
  8. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member

Tough decisions and I am one of those"If i could do it all over again" people. I don't regret furthering my education in classes to get a degree, but i am glad that i took many classes to further my knowledge in what I love. After hi-school I took 2 years of classes at my community college learning autobody repainting and refinishing, collision repair (frame straightening and panel replacement). Welding (already had 3 years of welding in hi-school and became industry certified), automotive airconditioning, automotive electricity, front-end alignmet, etc. I also took classes in meat cutting as well (for work). I have never worked in the automotive industry, but have the tools and skills to hold my own even if to just work on my own stuff. I got married when I was 19 ( have been married 23 years) and we started our family a few months later so I have always worked hard to support my family and preach to my kids all the time how important school is and if only I had the desire to learn back then like I do now (blah blah blah-you get the picture).

With the way the economy is now, looking at the BIG PICTURE does not sound like a bad idea.
  9. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member

The profit difference between 20 to 100K is 5 fold. That is a big margin buddy. I have seen some ice cream trucks that have more rust than choclate on them. You New Yorkers must have something for Ice Cream. If you have a smart business plan and can really turn even 20K a year per truck - (that is a lot of ice cream) then who wouldn't do it. just make sure the trcuks ar GM, none of these foregin box jobbies.
  10. zach45

zach45 New Member

well each truck comes with there own nebighorhood... so depending on the area..
    all our trucks are gmc kurbmasters.
  11. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra New Member

stay in school dude. its only gonna help you in the long run. you gotta get that piece of paper. My freshman year i did not like school very much either. give it time and you will settle in with a group of friends and will start having a lot of fun. I love school now, not so much the classes part but I have so much fun. I have bad ADD and have trouble focusing in class too so i know where you are coming from. find a major you like and stick with it. hang in there and it will work itself out :great:
  12. zach45

zach45 New Member

im in class with all my friends...
    god i hate them lol..:grrrrrr: