1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need some help

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by dcoperator, Nov 3, 2012.

1. dcoperator

dcoperator New Member

I've got a 2008 Silverado w/5.3 and atrocious gas mileage...13city/17 highway. Ive heard of rechipping these trucks either with something like Bully Dog or the like to improve mileage and performance...anyone have any input on this?
  2. '99Suburban

'99Suburban New Member

My friend owns a limo company and said he's tried everything to get better mileage. The performance chips work a little bit on hp and torque, but really don't do much much for gas mileage.
  3. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member 2 Years 100 Posts

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The problem with changing the gear ratio is cost balancing, it takes a long time to regain that $750-$900 you'll spend to regear.
    Look at a tire pressures, tire tread style (an aggressive off-road tread decreasses MPG), tire size, unnecessary weight carried in the truck, added exterior items that may increase drag, maybe try using synthetic lubes for decreased friction, and last but not least check your driving style.
  5. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I gained horsepower and torque with my diablo tuner and have also regained my money in gas savings. So yes it will help just have to have it set up right
  6. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I would say you do have a problem. with stock tires/stock height, 4X4 , 3.73 rear gears, 5.3L engine Lt silverado ext cab I get 15-19MPG. 15 around town . 19 on hywy 70 MPH. gasoline 87 octane.

clean the maf. could be the sensor wires are with a film . use MAF cleaner.

if the vehicle has larger tires and is with a lift kit then this would be why. also if you use E85 fuel this lowers MPG.
  7. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

The cheapest way to improves mpg's is with your right foot. I know because it is also my problem. But as was said earlier a good tune that is done for your vehicle will help. I bought a Diablo InTune and had Lew work his magic and it helped. I gained about 2mpg's with this.