need some opinions!!!

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by GMCZ71, May 21, 2012.

1. The Heater

The Heater Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Hello:

On the transmission replacement question, I would buy a used tranny with some miles on it (not too many miles). Leave the tranny in your old truck. You may want to sell it and it's better off with the original transmission in it.

2. GMCZ71

GMCZ71 Rockstar

I was gonna keep the old truck for parts anyway but you have a good point there...I found one with 120k on it and I'm told that the earlier ones were good for about 200k so I'm still debating

3. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Lol amazing what a googe search can do. I hope I'm right or damned near being right.

4. GMCZ71

GMCZ71 Rockstar

well i changed the tranny fluid today but didnt have the money for the solenoids so i didnt do those...BUT after i got all done i thought about taking the solenoids out of the tranny in my old truck and puttin them in the new one but figured id come back on here and for more ideas.

i think my tranny is toast but ill tell you guys whats goin on and see what happens...i can put my truck into first but it dont come out of first until i put it in overdrive and then it olny goes into second.

so my question is should i even bother droppin the pan again to change the solenoids or cut my loses and get a different tranny?

5. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I would cut your losses. If you smelled burnt fluid then your bands are burnt and changing solenoids are not going to fix that problem.

6. GMCZ71

GMCZ71 Rockstar

thats what i was thinkin...now heres the other delema...ive got a good working tranny in my old truck but it has almost 250k on it and im not sure if i should put it in or get a different one with less milage

7. rileyjr16

I'd go with something with less miles. BUT you never know how that trans was treated.

8. GMCZ71

GMCZ71 Rockstar

that is true and i know what the trans i got has been through...if it didnt have so many miles it would be in already but the milage is the killer on that...i never beat on it and i had it flushed every fall since ive had the truck...so thats why im kinda stuck...the trans i got is free but has alot of miles...another trans would have way less miles but i have to pay for it

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

im thinkin im gonna get a different trans and later on down the road have the one in my old truck rebuilt for a spare...any ideas what is a good milage range for a used trans?

9. rileyjr16

ZERO would be ideal. I guess really anything under 150,000 miles would be good. A 4L80E would be a nice upgrade since its a little more heavy duty, but its longer so you'll have to chop and move the mounting brackets back and find a shorter driveshaft.

However my dad did change the solenoids on my brothers truck and it was doing the same thing and he got another 80,000 out of the trans before it finally crapped out at 254,000 but if Phantom says its not going to fix it, don't do it.

10. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

What will a trans shop charge you for a bench job to rebuild it? My dad had one done 5 or 6 years ago and they only charged him $600, because he pulled it himself. I have seen used some used trans going for that much if not more.