1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need some performance ideas

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by trentkoger, Jan 24, 2013.

1. trentkoger

trentkoger New Member

Im looking to add some performance to my '04 silverado with 5.3 and the 4L60E. I am already planning on the basics (Ram air instead of cold air intake, true dual exhaust and looking to put an LS1 intake and throttle body on it). My mechanic friend has told me to put a more aggressive cam in it which i need to open up the top end anyhow because i have the early morning startup lifter knock. My question is, beyond these mods and a pcm from black bear performance or trifecta is there much more i can do besides a full on heart transplant?
  2. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would look into a diablo tuner rather than the blackbear. You get a custom tune and get to keep your pcm. If there are issues you can always revert back to the stock tune to help with diagnosis of an issue. Plus, you can read codes and monitor specs while you drive.
  3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

with the engine noise on start up put 5 OZ of marvel mystery oil in the crankcase. this will remove the carbon deposits and aid in lifter properly holding oil.

what occurs is on shutdown lifters with carbon deposits do NOT hold the oil. so then on a cold start you get these sounds. I have used this product for decades in all engines this is an oil not a solvent so it is safe to use and does over time loosen these deposits. you may notice that the oil is getting dark in color this is the carbon ..change oil when this occurs and repeat. it depends on how much carbon you have. with leaking injectors you may have alot of carbon.
  4. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

As far as early morning engine knock, I see that when people don't use an AC Delco oil filter. My 1998 Chevy pickup used to knock when starting up and when I used an AC Delco oil filter, the early morning knock was never heard from ever again. Ever since then I have always used AC Delco oil filters on my vehicles, except when I owned an Explorer I used a Motorcraft oil filter.
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Well by swapping the truck intake for a car intake you will lose some torque, If your going to do all the trouble of the swap do an LS6 intake with a 102mm throttle body.

How much are you looking to spend??

The cam swap you speak of, how aggressive do you want to go?? I just recently did a cam swap in my LS1 5.7, $3,000 in parts alone.

I replaced-lifters, pushrods, double springs, cam, roller rockers (1.7), MLS head gaskets (higher compression), double roller timing chain, upgraded sprockets, viton valve stem seals, titanium retainers, 7 degree locks, and on and on and on.

LS motors are awesome to mod, just gotta save lot's of pennies....
  6. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Yea you do need to realize on these ls motors you have to pull the heads to get the lifters out. A cam is prob the biggest bang for your buck. I use napa/wix filter on my truck and only get piston slap when its <40* but fine when warm, the trade offs of short pistons. These filters are twice as tall as delco filters and nice quality. For the true duals are you going to xpipe? I wanted to do true duals but didnt want to cut the converter pipe.
  7. trentkoger

trentkoger New Member

I switched it over to the AC filter and it didnt seem to help. Im not wanting to go to crazy on the cam lift just enough to notice in throttle response and top end power. I never tow anything with it and im just looking for a little more HP and im kind of willing to loose the low end grunt but havent decided but i will do some looking in on the LS6 intake and the 102 mm throttle body. On the duals i have a really good exhaust guy (because i dont like doing exhaust myself it always looks terrible when im done) that told me since my O2 sensors are after the cats and before the transition he could cut out the transition and run true duals from there without affecting any emmisions so im stoked about that i have never heard a 5.3 with true duals everybody around here just runs them from the y and splits them back out for the fakey duals so im betting it will sound awesome with a couple of flowmasters underneath it. Thanks for the advice guys!!!!!!!
  8. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would make sure that you have a crossover installed to equalize pressure or it might sound like 2 four cylinder motors running next to each other.