1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need some weight in back

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by stewart7225, Aug 19, 2011.

1. stewart7225

stewart7225 New Member

Does anyone have any good ideas for adding some weight to the rear of the bed on a pickup? My truck can not handle the washboards on our dirt roads unless I have 200+ lbs of weight in back. I currently have some cheap sandbags I picked up this winter but they are falling apart and I need some new bags or other containers to put the sand in. I would really like to find something that is easy to secure and preferably at least 2 containers as I do have to take the weight out to haul other things once in a while. I tried to find some canvas sand bags online but could not find any place to buy just a few sand bags and really dont need 100+ sandbags. Walmart has some heavy duty plastic storage totes that can be secured in the bed, does anyone know if these would work? I would like to stay away from using old tubes out of tires as I have not had the best of luck with those lasting very long in the past.

Any ideas would be great as my duck tape patches aren't holding up to well lol. Cheaper would be better at this point, I have looked at those bladders that can be filled with water but I really need to concentrate the weight at the rear of the bed.

Thanks

Austin
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Theres a company that makes a water bladder that fits in the bed and it has baffles so the water doesn't slosh around. I can't think of the company name but maybe someone can help. If I remember I'll post.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Ever thought of making a heavy pipe bumper capped on the ends and filled with sand or lead?

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

Are you thinking of the type boaters use for wakeboarding?
  4. stewart7225

stewart7225 New Member

I believe you are referring to Shurtrax, while those look like a great idea I dont see it working to well for a work truck :( Not to mention the fact that they are kind of expensive with the 100 lb bag costing $70

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

I guess I need to fill out my signature one of these days. Pickup is an 08 silverado so not really looking to change the bumper although if money wasnt an option I would definitely consider buying an aftermarket one as my chrome is nasty looking.
  5. travisn

travisn New Member

We put sand in 5 gallon buckets for plowing. You can make a box for them by putting a 2x10 on either side of the wheel well then connecting them with 2 more 2x10s on the inside of each wheel well.
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Have you thought about replacing the shocks?
  7. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

My little 1986 Toyota rode like a buckboard-heck it used to loosen my fillings and hurt my neck.
    Once I screwed up and used cat litter containers filled with sand-
    They broke loose crashed into the front of the bed and dented it.
    I finally settled on filling screw top gallon water jugs with water-8 lbs each.
    I needed about 40- yes 40 - of them to improve the ride.
    No matter what you use you want them to break or open up if they break loose during a crash.
    Small-2.5 gallon plastic gas cans(20 lbs lbs) might fit the bill.
    I wouldn't want an individual one to be too heavy
    Charlie
  8. stewart7225

stewart7225 New Member

At this point I think that is the problem, bought the pickup at around 50,000 miles and the dealer put new rear shocks on while it was on the lot. Even after putting like 12,000 miles on it, they still are way to stiff to handle washboards. Maybe I need to look into some softer shocks?

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 AM ----------

Yup that is kind of what I was wanting to avoid, so far my sandbags have not broke loose but they came close a time or two.

If anyone knows of a website or place to buy individual sand bags (empty canvas ones) that would be great.

Keep the ideas coming

Thanks

Austin
  9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

Austin
    Try ebay-a quick search showed plenty available-cheap(100 50 lb bags for $40) I'm sure there were listing for much smaller numbers of bags
    Charlie
  10. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

stewart7225, it was the shurtrax that I was trying to remember. Thanks!:great: