Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Need some words of experience

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Mean_Green_95, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've been thinking about changing out my cluster for a Cadillac cluster, but I've decided against it for the most part due to cost and availability. I happened to be on ebay today during class(I know, I know, but I get really really bored in human resource education,) and I saw this-http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-0...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5635a69343

What does everyone think about this? do they really look as good as they do in the pictures?
    Also, it says it comes with all the wires and power inverter. What does it need an inverter for?

I'm just wanted to get some info and some opinions on the product before I purchase it.

Thanks in advanced guys and gals.

2. Mean_Green_95

need a little bump here...

3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Well I'm not telling you not to get it, but the pictures they show look like they had LED's behind there to get it that bright. I have a white face gauge cluster in my S-10, and it is no where as bright as that one you have the link to. Also I have never heard of having to use an inverter for a gauge cluster, even the one's that are color changing don't have an inverter it's just two wires red and black.

Keep this in mind too, a NUIMAGE Escalade cluster like the one shown is about $400, so $20 seems a little cheap to me to be the real thing. The worst that will happen is you will have a white face gauge, with the stock incadescent bulbs behind it.

4. Mean_Green_95

Thanks Amy, I figured I hear from you sooner or later. I've also been thinking about changing out the L194's inside the cluster with some blue LED's to give the gave a blue look that would match my radio. What are your thoughts/ experiences with this idea?

5. sierra85

sierra85 New Member

don't buy those. its not a "cluster" or even any gauges. what it is is a cheap overlay that lays over your existing gauges. there is thin wires run through that overlay and out to a power inverter. you then have to wire that power inverter to your headlight switch. the reason its so cheap is that they burn out very quickly and they look really cheap... i had one just like that in my old vehicle that someone put in. DO NOT BUY. youll be dissapointed.

6. Mean_Green_95

Thank you Sierra, thanks the kind of comment I was looking for. I figured that for that price, they must have been junk. I guess I will try to change out the lights for some blue ones, if they will work, but if not, I will save up and buy a Caddy cluster.

Has anyone opened up a cluster from 00-02. Did they use the 194's light the previous generation clusters?

7. TRPLXL2

Here ya go!

Here is a good write up about the 99-02 Silverado LED gauge cluster upgrade, pmf608 did this not me so give him all the credit.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16690

The only thing I can tell you is you are extremely lucky that it is just twist lock bulbs, plus the 194's come in a ton of LED colors too. I am actually in the long tedious process of doing an LED upgrade to my gauges, but as I have found out the 03-05 are soldered in place and not simple plug and play. Your gauge has seven bulbs, where as mine has 12 bulbs total. The main piece I would give you about your cluster is the LED viewing angle, that is going to make the difference between having a nice clean look and having a bunch of dead spots in the cluster. I have done a lot of research for my own projects and have found the best viewing angle for LED's to be 120 degree viewing angle, I had bought 360 degree bulbs before and was very disapointed with the light output. Here's some pictures of my current mess of gauges, and those LED bulbs are micro LED's so I will be upgrading all of them to 5mm LED's with the 120 degree angle which will make it about 100 times brighter. I will post a how to once it's all done, which will probably be next summer! :shocked:

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4070&stc=1&d=1255004469
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4071&stc=1&d=1255004469

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  8. Mean_Green_95

Thanks Amy for links. Sine the 120 degree LED's are the best in your opinion, where would I have the best bet of acquiring them?

9. TRPLXL2

Well as far as the best place to buy those LED's, I would have to say off of the internet. I bought all of my LED's from Radio Shack, but they are way high and I know that I paid at least 400% more for the stuff than off the internet. I just prefer to be able to see what I am buying and be able to return it in person, I don't know any particular website for them though. Sorry I couldn't help you on that one, good luck with the project.

10. Mean_Green_95

Thanks for ur help anyway Amy. My next day off I'm gonna go take a look around at the different stores.