1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need source for 6.0liter exhaust heat shield manifold bolts

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by zebra308, Feb 11, 2011.

1. zebra308

zebra308 Rockstar

I needed to change a cracked exhaust manifold on my truck. I was able to get one but it came without the heatshield attached. I figured, no big deal. When I took the old heat shield off, the bolts snapped. I figured no big deal, I'll just stop by the dealer and get them. I figured they would be relatively expensive...maybe a $ 1.00 each.

Sticker-shock.........the dealer wants $ 10.00 each for these little gems...$ 60.00 for 6 plus tax..
    That borders on criminal....

Anyone know of a less expensive source for these.

I'm not NASAor the DOD so I'm not used to paying $ 125.00 for a regular hammer.
    Thanks,
  2. Taddpole

Taddpole Member

The wife's 04 Cad Ext has a 6.0 liter eng. in it. I pulled one of the heat shield bolts out of it. I ran a M 6X1.0 die down on it, it fits but it's a little loose. You should be able to buy metric bolts at any decent hardware store or go to grainger.com 100ea. for approx. $10.00. So I think it's a M 6X1.0 about 1/2 inch long. If you have to, drill & tap the holes to 1/4-20 size, easy to find bolts.

Hope this helps.
  3. zebra308

zebra308 Rockstar

Thanks for the tip.
    We were able to find the 6 bolts we needed in a box of odd sized bolts we've accumulated over the years.
    I think it's crazy they wanted $ 10.00 a piece for them at the stealership.