Need source for 6.0liter exhaust heat shield manifold bolts

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by zebra308, Feb 11, 2011.

1. zebra308

zebra308 Rockstar

I needed to change a cracked exhaust manifold on my truck. I was able to get one but it came without the heatshield attached. I figured, no big deal. When I took the old heat shield off, the bolts snapped. I figured no big deal, I'll just stop by the dealer and get them. I figured they would be relatively expensive...maybe a $ 1.00 each.

Sticker-shock.........the dealer wants $ 10.00 each for these little gems...$ 60.00 for 6 plus tax..
    That borders on criminal....

Anyone know of a less expensive source for these.

I'm not NASAor the DOD so I'm not used to paying $ 125.00 for a regular hammer.
    Thanks,

2. Taddpole

Taddpole Member

The wife's 04 Cad Ext has a 6.0 liter eng. in it. I pulled one of the heat shield bolts out of it. I ran a M 6X1.0 die down on it, it fits but it's a little loose. You should be able to buy metric bolts at any decent hardware store or go to grainger.com 100ea. for approx. $10.00. So I think it's a M 6X1.0 about 1/2 inch long. If you have to, drill & tap the holes to 1/4-20 size, easy to find bolts.

Hope this helps.

3. zebra308

zebra308 Rockstar

Thanks for the tip.
    We were able to find the 6 bolts we needed in a box of odd sized bolts we've accumulated over the years.
    I think it's crazy they wanted $ 10.00 a piece for them at the stealership.