Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need to figure out Diff Specs

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by kmears, Mar 13, 2012.

1. kmears

kmears New Member

I cant seem to find the information I want so If we get enough can sticky it... ;)

Anyways, I got
    2001 Chevy Tahoe - Base 4.8L
    Transmission - 4L60-E
    Transfer Case - NP246 - AutoTrac

Now I cant figure out for my Project.....
    I believe it is 10.5 Inch Rear Solid Axle right? So now I trying to figure out the ring gear so I can make a match for my new setup to match that ring gear so I get best from my box for On and Off Road use Correct?
    Anyways if someone has the info that would be great. And perhaps the Codes for Identification would be marvelous.

- Kyle (The Shop Customs) 604-726-2065

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

Not sure if this is right Axle Ratio - Rear: 3.73?
    And sees when I go to replacement Axles that its 3.42... So very confused, starting to think I should see if dealership on Vin Check can give me the Ratio, Ring Gear ect... I need to make match front to back for best results...

Also, what kind of Independent Differential Box would work as a general Replacement for Stock Front one?
    I was thinking of the Corvette Box but I don't think it would be big enough to house the stock ring gear size either.. :(
  2. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

There should be sticker in the glove box or door jamb with codes for paint color, diff etc.... something like these..

GQ1 -- AXLE REAR, STD RATIO
    GT4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.73 RATIO
    GT5 -- AXLE REAR, 4.10 RATIO
    GU4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.08 RATIO
    GU5 -- AXLE REAR, 3.23 RATIO
    GU6 -- AXLE REAR, 3.42 RATIO
    G80 -- AXLE REAR, LIMITED SLIP (POSITRACTION)
  3. LURCH

LURCH Rockstar

It should be an 8.5" 10 bolt rear housing, I don't think they make a 10.5".
  4. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You have the 10 bolt semi-float axle under the rear. The 10.5" 14-bolt was only put under 3/4 ton and 1-ton vehicles.
  6. kmears

kmears New Member

Okay so I found it... Thank you for the codes.. :)
    I got the GT4 Code, which be the 3.73 thank you...

So as long as I make sure the front and rear are at 3.73... :)
    As for the other dimensions 8.5" 10 bolt rear housing, If I swap to Solid Design I must use those same Settings.
    Thank you Boys Very well Appreciated, and I will let you know how the design turns out..

This project is not a for sure go so don't be all asking for photos.. I will post when I have time and start.. ;)
    First comes Engineering.. LOL

Side not this Project is not for Ultimate Rock Crawling my Truck but rather design a slightly better but stronger off-road setup that does not destroy my regular driving but does allow me to do bit better off roadin.. :) Thanks again guys...