1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need transfer case shifting instructions for 4x4

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by omnisi, Mar 29, 2009.

1. omnisi

omnisi Rockstar 100 Posts

Its a '90 Suburban with a 700R4 and a NP241.

I know generally how to shift the transfer case, but was wondering where to find the GM instructions...ie: max speeds for shifting into low and high, and what gear for 4Low - forward or neutral?

Thanks
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That information is in your owner's manual. As a rule most transfer cases can be shifted in and out of 4 High at any speed as long as you lift the throttle to shift.
    The rule changes from high to low range. Some transfer case with an automatic transmission will grind into low range unless you shut off the engine.

Along these same lines there are many procedures for operating a vehicle that are found only in the owner's manual. I found this out years ago when I worked at a Chevy dealership.
  3. omnisi

omnisi Rockstar 100 Posts

Roger that Jimmiee...but I dont this vehicle didnt come with an owners manual, and I havent ordered one yet. I guess I better on it...

Thanks
  4. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

On my 87 Blazer w700R4, 4HI can be shifted in and out while moving. With my blazer, I have to be stopped and in Nuetral to shift into 4LO. I have tried in Park and it won't work.
  5. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you have manual hubs you need to lock them in on the outside.
    I have electric all the way around, into 4 hi it can be up to 55 MPH but in 4 low I have to be in neutral and under 3 MPH if not stopped all together.
    If you have the manual lever try shifting into 4 i at a full stop first then see if it will work at a slow speed.
    Good luck.