1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Need your thoughts ~ bed liner on rocker panels

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by MTM, Mar 23, 2012.

1. MTM

MTM Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

i have been thinking of doing bed liner on my rocker panels so pretty much from the trim down. There's a local shop that can get bed liner to look just like its painted. It comes out glossy just like regular paint......so anyone have any thoughts if this will look good or not

2. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I see it on Jeeps all the time and it looks good IMO if it's done well. I would go for it if you say they can get it to look like it's painted. I am interested in seeing how they make the bedliner appear as if it were painted, bedliner has a rough texture to it when it's applied.

3. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Well I'd have to see your truck again from a side view. I went to your profile but it looks like you don't have any pics on there. Another idea could be a vinyl wrap. This way if you don't like it you can just take it off. Even if you waste money you can still take it off unlike the bed liner. Also, doing the bed liner may be better protection than vinyl, but unless you are doing some off-roading and rubbing your rocker panels against stuff I think the vinyl would hold up fine and protect the paint underneath. I bet a vinyl place could do it pretty cheap but it would depend on the amount of curves and usually that area doesn't have many. You should go to a place that does vinyl wraps because they will have a printer so if you wanted to pick a color other than black it's possible; and they'll be more professional than just a sticker place...IMHO.

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Theres a lot of different textures you can get with bedliner, some depends on the manufacturer, some on the method you use to apply, and some on the type liner you choose.
    I covered the interior of my Jeep with a low gloss smooth DIY liner that was made to roll, the roll on process was supposed to give it texture, but we sprayed it, the biggest problem I had was my HVLP sprayer was made to spray a less viscous material so I had to thin it out some and in the process it made the liner shine more than I wanted, but all in all it turned out real good looking.
    Before spraying I took the material to a friends paint and body shop and had them add pigment to it so it would match the color of my Jeep, it didnt turn out perfect, the colors off by a shade or two, I think thats because of the material compatability, but in the end it's not noticeable unless your looking carefully.

5. sevi084x4

sevi084x4 Rockstar 100 Posts

Vinyl Wraps are super sweet and would be about the same price as using bedliner professionally....and you can put neat stuff all over them...but they dont offer any protection if you run into stuff really...so i guess the question is why do you want to do this really?

6. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

whatever u choose, I think lots on here will be interested if you can post any pics.....Brian

7. rosenhanclan

rosenhanclan New Member

I have been thinking about the bedliner on the sides or my burban also. There is a Bronco out here that has the rocker panels done and it looks pretty sweet. He has the wide tires extending out of the fenders so I can only imagine it was to prevent rock chips from those monsters. I am suprised her can even turn it. 35s on a 2 inch lift. LOL

8. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have seen bed liner used for many different applications. A friend of mine did the entire tub of his restored Jeep CJ5. It turned out beautiful. The only downside to any bed liner material is I have never seen one that doesn't fade. I know many claim they don't fade but in most cases that is not true.

9. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I think it would be sweet. According to LineX they have a new additive that they can add (and add to the price) that is supposed to keep the bedliner from fading.

10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I tend to agree that Line-X on the rocker panels would be pretty sweet. It's one of the mods on my list to do, as well -- as rock chips abound in that region.