1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Need Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by MTM, Apr 5, 2012.

1. MTM

MTM Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I have been wanting to put more lights on my truck so here is a VERY rough sketch. Be harsh give you all your thoughts

bkjb.jpg
  2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I think the ones on the front part of the mirrors would look pretty good. I've seen a few member put lights on that side of their mirrors and they come out nice. I'm not quite sold on the ones under the doors yet. For street rides, I think on some trucks they look great and really complement the theme of the truck, but your ride looks a little more trail/utility than street with the M/Ts, Tow Mirrows, and slight lift, which kinds of messes with what I am used to seeing. However, with that said, you may be onto the next fad as well. I hope that helps!
  3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Mike just said everything I was about to:lol:
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It is my firm opinion that the mirror lights would look sharp and the rocker panel lights would look completely ghetto. That's my two cents worth of input.
  5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

For whatever reason I can't see your sketch. But from the replies I gather you want to put lights either under your mirrors or on the rocker panels. I like the idea of the "puddle light" on the mirror. I like it cause if you are playing off road you can turn them on, open the door and have some more useable light that can be moved around a little bit by just swinging the door into that general direction. I am not a big fan of the rocker lights. Looks good on big rigs not so much on pick up trucks.
  6. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I pretty much concur with the common consensus here. The mirror lights are something I'me keeping at the back of my head thanks to Jaele and his posts. However, I don't think the rocker lights really fit your truck. That being said, I think it's great you're trying random ideas. Keep going like that and you'll find something unique that does look great.
  7. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The one's on the front of the mirrors, i wouldn't do, how are those mirrors suppose to close? There's a 1/8" gap between those two surfaces? And if you want to drill, how are you suppose to get the LED's in and to seal them? I agree it would look nice, especially if you integrated a signal into them. But practicality is i don't think you will have any way of making them work, try searching for a black LED weatherproof strip, i believe they might be starting to make a thin enough strip. And for the lower LED's, there is a light bar that already works for that, they have integrated the signal, and a courtesy light as well, when you open your doors it turns white to light up the ground.
  8. MTM

^^^^^The mirrors will never b e folded down i wouldn't go through the trouble of putting dodge mirrors on a chevy and then fold them down. And the way those lights mount is i will drill a 3/4'' hole and the will only stick out 1/8'' from the surface mounted. And those mirrors have a channel per-say that the wires can run in.

Now onto the rocker lights. Very glad i posted this because i have been having a really really hard time deciding if they would look good. That's why i need some thoughts. I'm by no means after the big rig look that should be left to the big rigs not street trucks......Please keep giving me thoughts or other ideas i could consider
  9. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

By no means am i saying do not take those lights into effect on your truck, you have a large truck, here's a video on the light bar i'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1DAsoxzwXI&feature=related
  10. MTM

Sorry man really wasn't trying to be rude if that's how i came off. Yea i've looked into those big rig kits and the main thing i love is the white courtesy lights and how they fade in and out. I would personally do my own if for some reason i did do them because i can make them do all the same things for less than half that price