1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Needing some info about pulling a huge camper with my little truck!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by 4x4chick, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

So basically what you did, was you just bought the same truck you already had, but with a bigger motor, and extra/tougher leaf springs?
  2. jake's silverado

jake's silverado Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Just a minute now the 1500 HD that I searched on line had an increased GVWR of 8600#. and yes a GCVWR of 16000#. the only way to be sure is the to load it as you would and take it to a set of scales. If you are under the DOT will not bother you. So weigh the set up, look at the sticker and see how close you are to the axle max weights listed and how close you are to the GVWR listed on your sticker on the truck. As long as you are below you are good. All Manufacturers build in some safety margin.
    As well on line they listed there were a few Brake recalls on these. Make sure they have been done and keep them serviced!
    Your better off with the HD but weighing the set up will confirm one why or another where you are.

This truck also has the HD Axle and Brakes!
  3. 4x4chick

4x4chick New Member

don't know the RPO codes? and it doesn't have quadsteer, but I can tell you that its got all new HD brakes, and its a 6.0L with a cold air intake lol
  4. The Heater

The Heater Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Hello, 4x4chick:

Your query for this thread begs questions that you have not written. For example, is the trailer something you enjoy and wish to keep using? Would keeping the trailer outweigh getting rid of it for a smaller one? If the answer to the first is "yes" and the second is "no", then please, as others have suggested, lose the 1500 series truck and get a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

One motto I try to follow is: "the right tool for the right job", and here your truck is NOT designed for the load you have. Not braking or towing or suspension performance. If you don't have a catastrophic accident where you jack knife the trailer and total it and your truck, possibly killing or seriously injuring the occupants of your truck, you are at least going to run into repairs you don't have to deal with on a truck designed for that kind of load.

So, in summary, consider why you own the trailer, and then consider why you own that truck. A 1500 series truck is not what you need for this job. No way you can put bandaids on it to try to dress it to look like a 3/4 ton truck.
  5. neckdown

neckdown New Member

If you camp at the same place most of the time you can do what I did, I stored mine close by. A lot cheaper than a trany and axle's and a lot safer. I have seen a lot of camper's scattered across the highway's.
  6. jake's silverado

jake's silverado Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

4X4 Chick, You may be OK. As stated before a scale will confirm things one way or another. Weigh your 1500HD with it being full of fuel, and you. Then come back with the trailer and ideally have it loaded as you would for travelling. ( I see you are a fellow Canuck so that may be hard right now if it is in storage like ours is). CAT Scales are the ones i use. Here is a link.

http://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator
  7. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

RPO codes are in the glove box on a sticker. Take a pic it will tell us what options it has. And as [MENTION=25770]jake's silverado[/MENTION] said get it weight to see if you are over. If you are its not safe. If you are like 100lb from the max that's cutting it close.
  8. 4x4chick

4x4chick New Member

haven't had a chance to weigh with the camper loaded as its frozen into the ground and under 4 feet of snow lol but the truck weighs just over 5700lbs with a half tank of gas, ill post a pic of the rpo codes tomorrow.