Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Needs trans swap help quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by chevyracingss, Oct 27, 2012.

1. chevyracingss

chevyracingss New Member

I have a 90 K1500 5-spd(HM-290) that the over/under shaft went out on. It seems spendy to get the shaft when i will be doing a motor swap in the very near future. I am planning on building a torquey 383 build with a taget torque around 450-475 lb/ft. Since the trans is already going out right mated to the stock 350 TBI motor, it only makes since to replace it with the upgraded trans now in expectance of the new motor. I have read that the NV4500 is only rated at 450 lb/ft. of torque so I wouldn't feel comfortable putting it knowing that a constant rebuild was my destiny. i have been lookng at the T-56's and the ZF-6, but would like to know if it would bolt to a 350 TBI block. I will be doing the 383 build based on the TBI Block. any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance my forum brothers. The truck is 4WD with the F44 package so my rearend will hold the power.

2. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

The NV4500 will stand up to your 383 with no problems. There are many running around behind tuned up Cummins diesels pulling heavy trailers with no issues. I would stay away from any car transmission such as the T-56. They may be rated to handle the torque, but you also need to look at the gross vehicle weight rating of the tranny. Car transmissions were not designed to handle the weight of a truck or a truck hauling or pulling any kind of load.