GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Nerf bar/step for 2010 Sierra extended cab

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Garyp, May 5, 2010.

1. Garyp

Garyp New Member

Where is the best place to get decent, serviceable nerf bars for a 2010 Sierra extended cab. I'm short and need
    them for ease of entry and exit. I'm located in MS/ Thanks
  2. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 New Member

I got some on ebay, it was 130 bucks with shipping
  3. Garyp

Garyp New Member

I saw some there for $150. That seems to be a reasonable price..Did yours fit as advertised with no drilling? Are they substantial enough to be useful? Thanks
  4. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 New Member

Nope I had to drill mine.. And they do hold the weight..

Attached Files:

• 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      36.9 KB
      Views:
  5. MAsZ71

MAsZ71 New Member

There are "hundreds" of decent to excellent nerf/step bars to choose from. Like anything else, you get what you pay for! Most low end bars will have cheap hardware and require some extra efforts to install. Cheaper bars will have poor quality chrome finishes, bad powder coating, etc.

What style do you like? Chrome? Stainless? Black powder coated? What do you mean by serviceable? Show us some pictures of your truck. That might help us generate some ideas for you!

Do yourself a favor....do a fair amount of research (search function on this site is great) before you buy. There have been several good threads posted here talking about nerf bars and steps.

Oh yea...WELCOME to GMTruckClub!!!!:great:
  6. BigBlueLB756

BigBlueLB756 New Member

Over here in Meridian, I got some Westin bars from Summit that are really sturdy, but cost a bit more. Shop wisely, buy quality, and you'll be happy in the end.

And NEVER check prices after you've purchased a part!
  7. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 New Member

I think the ones that bolt on-no drilling-mount to your body mounts..They will have some flex to them.. Mine bolted to the frame. And dont move at all.
  8. MAsZ71

MAsZ71 New Member

The body mount versions for the GMT900 series trucks are ROCK-SOLID. No flex whatsoever! I had a set of GM 6" oval assist steps on before installing my N-Fab set and both are bolted to the rocker panel. I weight 260 and they don't budge! :great:

When I swapped to the N-Fabs, a buddy of mine and I bolted the GM set to another friends truck in 15 minutes. Granted we had done it before, but the FACT is...the body mounted versions are fine! And as far as installation, well "even a caveman can do it"!! :rofl:
  9. BigBlueLB756

BigBlueLB756 New Member

IF he's got tools!!!!! Rocks and clubs don't get it!
  10. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 New Member

Im ready!!!!

Attached Files:

11. Kman1022

Kman1022 New Member

I like the line ya threw in at the end ahaha

I had Westins on my 04 silverado and they were EXCELLENT quality. I had the chrome and they really held up nicely to the New England weather and even the coastal salty Florida air. I'll be looking to invest in some new ones for the new rig soon hopefully.
  12. turtlesdove3

turtlesdove3 New Member

Looks like the Westin Bars are very good. No idea about installation so if the need arises I think I'll need an installer.
  13. turtlesdove3

turtlesdove3 New Member

I think you have sound knowledge on nerf/step bars. I have seen some very good Black powder coated ones and what about chrome?
  14. MAsZ71

MAsZ71 New Member

My knowledge with nerf bars is only what I have learned from researching on this forum and other interenet sites! Plus experience with bars and steps that I have owned in the past.

Personally, I have always steered clear of chrome bars. Primarily because the process of chrome plating is an art, and if done incorrectly can lead to issues down the road. I think if you stick with one of the high-end, name brand manufacturers you'd probably be OK. I chose black because I wanted to limit the "bling" on my '07!!:great: