1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Never buying K&N again...

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by willbradfan, Aug 30, 2011.

1. willbradfan

willbradfan Rockstar 100 Posts

Opened the hood up today to see this on the intake piece that came with my K&N air intake. I really liked K&N but after seeing this under my hood during a routine cleaning, never buying K&N again...

If you dont see the problem...check out the black paint...

DSCN4224.jpg DSCN4225.jpg DSCN4226.jpg
  2. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

How did that happen? How long have you had the K&N intake on your truck?
  3. willbradfan

I have no idea how it happened :grrrrrr: I was in shock when I saw it like that this afternoon. I have probably had that on my truck since about 2005 or 2006.
  4. sgtsjj

sgtsjj Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

wow:gasp: i had a K&N on my civic and never had that happen
  5. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Is that black gunk? Its not Paint paint is it? Did you ever clean the filter and oil it?
  6. willbradfan

That is the throttle body mount that came with my K&N air intake kit and it was painted black when I got...
  7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I would contact K&N. I've got the same kit on my '96 'Burb since '97/'98 with over 250,000 miles on it and I don't have that problem.
  8. Goldie

Goldie Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

X2 What Silveradotrailblazer recommended. Over the years I've ran two differnt trucks with K&N set ups without a bit of problem. Keep us psoted on what happens.
  9. willbradfan

I emailed them yesterday and they got back to me today. They are going to send me a new intake mount. My only concern is whether any of that got into my engine and would it do to my engine?
  10. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Keep your pictures and e-mail from K&N. It would be hard to prove if it damaged the engine, but you never know so I would keep everything including the old part. By any chance did you e-mail the pictures to them?