Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Never owned a Diesel, what do I need to know?

Discussion in 'Medium-duty Truck Forum' started by PantheraUncia, Feb 7, 2012.

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I think the Topkicks and 4500's start with a 6.6 Duramax and go bigger from there. I have never owned a Duramax, but I am looking ay maybe a newer or 1-2 year old 6.6 with the allison transmission.

So my question is, for someone whom has never owned a Diesel, what do I need to know? and if I am looking at 1-2 year old ones, when I am checking them out, what should I look for to know I am not being taken by a shady deal?

Thanks

J
  2. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Nak if you go Topkick or kodiak go big and dependable. Cat or Cummins. No Duramax.

Check moisture filters , but if they are smart they aleady replaced them. Then stick the fuel tank for moisture. kits are available. Look for any leaks as you would any vehicle. Check the filters for dirt, a way to see if they maintained them. Check airlines and air tanks for moisture content