New 09 Silverado engine issue?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by temmert, Dec 30, 2009.

1. temmert

temmert New Member

:grrrrrr: Having an issue with my Silverado, its an 2009 crewcab 5.3L 4x4, 3K miles, yesterday the high temp was only 20 degrees, when I started the truck while leaving work i heard a very loud tapping/pinging sound coming from the engine. The longer it ran the quiter it become. I let it idle for 5 min before jumping in to drive it home and it was still making the noise. Once I got home (noise had quit) I checked oil and it was full. After sitting in my garage over night, which was approx 42 degrees, it made the noise again but not as loud. Called dealership and I have to drop it off tonight so they can look at it in the am. Anybody else have this problem, and what kind of damage could already be done to engine? Now that I think about it I have been hearing the noise for a while (a month or so) on am startups but was just thinking it was echoing in the garage........
    Truck still has the original oil in it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  2. RWK

RWK Rockstar

I've had a 5.3l in a Burb to -2 and no noises.

3. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

I've seen this before it's lifter tap and i've never seen it fixed under warranty they call it normal

4. temmert

temmert New Member

Well received a call from dealer and sure enough they heard the tick and said its normal......Im wondering that when I switch to synthetic on the first change if it will clear it up.

5. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

It has a bad lifter the only sure way to fix it is to let it bleed down overnight pull the vavle covers fire it up and spot it before it pumps up then change that lifter. the only good news is at least its a roller cam so you dont have to worry about the new lifter not breaking in correctly and wiping out that lobe,And by the time you tear the intake off to replace one or two lifters it wont feel much like a victory just to get rid of a small tick

6. donl

donl Rockstar 100 Posts

My 09 Silverado with 5.3 and Mobil 1 has lifter noise on start up...nothing to worry about...IMO.

7. bulliesmt77

bulliesmt77 New Member

My 09 Silverado with the 6.2L started making some noise when cold until it warms up after it hit about 5k miles. I am going to have it looked at next oil change just to have it documented. I figured they would just tell me it's the piston slap GM is known for.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  8. s5belford

s5belford Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have 14k on mine now and no problems, Let me know what the dealership says

9. SCGamecock

SCGamecock New Member

My 08 w/ 5.3 does the same thing. It only happens when it is cold outside (in SC, so only a few months a year.) It goes away about 5 minutes after startup. Doesn't always happen. With a switch to synthetic it has decreased. Dealership gave me the same "normal". I am not worried. IF it were an issue they would fix it because it is very well known IMO.

10. 383man

383man Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

it may not damage the engine, but it would still be annoying, i've never had that in my last two NBBS trucks, last had 46k when i got this one, this one has 6k all good so far. i'd be upset with having to put up with that all the time when it's not "normal". $.02