1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New 2008 Chevy & GM lineup

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Sep 4, 2007.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

The lineup of vehicles for 2008 looks pretty impressive. I hope to have the opportunity to test and review all of these vehicles over the upcomming months. Feel free to post your own review of any one of the 2008 models ... or your own year!

2008 GM Trucks
    Chevy Avalanche / Cadillac EXT
    Chevy Colorado / GMC Canyon
    Chevy Silverado / GMC Sierra

2008 GM SUVs / Crossovers
    GMC Acadia / Buick Enclave / Saturn Outlook
    Chevy Equinox / Saturn VUE / Pontiac Torrent
    Chevy HHR
    Hummer H1, H2, H3
    Chevy Suburban / GMC Yukon XL / Cadillac ESV
    Chevy Tahoe / GMC Yukon / Cadillac Escalade
    Chevy Trailblazer / GMC Envoy
    Cadillac SRX
    Pontiac Vibe

2008 GM Vans
    Chevy Express / GMC Savana
    Chevy Uplander

2008 GM Cars
    Chevy Aveo
    Chevy Cobalt / Saturn Ion
    Chevy Corvette
    Cadillac CTS
    Cadillac DTS
    Pontiac G8
    Pontiac G6
    Pontiac G5
    Pontiac Grand Prix
    Buick Lacross
    Buick Lucerne
    Chevy Impala
    Chevy Malibu / Saturn Aura
    Chevy Monte Carlo
    Pontiac Solstice / Saturn Sky
    Cadillac STS
    Cadillac XTR roadster
  2. domin8

domin8 New Member

2008 Chevy Equinox Sport/Pontiac Torrent GXP

I hope you don't mind, but I did I write-up on this vehicle already for another forum I'm member of. So, I just copied and pasted it here.

I definitely have a desire to get out of my 2006 supercharged Cobalt SS. I believe I have definitely found its replacement too. I just test drove the first 2008 Equinox Sport to arrive in Utah. That thing hauls. It was an all-wheel drive model. With my wife, my mother, and the dealer in the car it still moved quickly. I could have swore that it had more than 263bhp because of its acceleration. GM claims that this vehicle, and the Pontiac equivalent, is supposed to acheive 0-60 in 6.9 seconds, which makes it faster than base Porsche Cayenne which comes with 290bhp. Less apparently is more. It even had great brakes which we found out immediately after getting a quick yellow which was too close to brake normally, but too far away to rush through. It has a 6-speed auto with a manual shift mode. If any of you have driven, rode in, or just been around an Equinox, forget anything you know about it. GM states that it is only 1" lower than the regular Equinox, but it looks and feels much lower, about 4"'s lower. It is still car-like with a very responsive suspension, but doesn't feel stiff like the Cobalt SS/SC. With it being lowered, the standard 18" wheels and the sporty body kit, this thing looks like a much different Equinox than what we have seen previously, and that's a good thing since it drives and handles much better too.

The 2008 Equinox was also dressed in the new blue that replaces what some people have come to call blurple. Not my preference since I hate blue in general, however, it is still a nice color. It acts very much like the sport red tint that is on my wife's 07 Cobalt SS sedan where the shade varies depending upon light, but without the additional cost. I would have loved to see this car in blurple though. It would have really drawn attention to the car, especially since I didn't notice a single person looking at the car until I suddenly blew past them on the freeway. This was done when the dealer asked me to see if I could hit the rev limiter with the car in manual shift mode. I tried this in 3rd gear. Though it did not hit the rev limiter, probably due to a safety mode that might be incorporated into the cars programming until the engine is thoroughly broken in, I did notice one other thing that was confirmed by all passengers: Regardless of rpm's, the car pulls consistently and does not let off, even in the higher rpm's. I would even be willing to go as far as say that the Equinox Sport pulls harder as the rpm's get higher until it has to shift.

There was only complaint that I had, but it isn't enough to keep me from buying the Equinox Sport. The problem comes from the tranny, so the Equinox Sport is probably not going to be the vehicle we hear this about since GM is incorporating the 6-speed 6T70 automatic transmission in many cars including the GMC Acadia/Saturn Outlook/Buick Enclave/and 2009 Chevy Traverse which will replace the Trailblazer, and new BMW's that have a 6-speed auto tranny. The problem was when I was lightly cruising then jumped on the gas to test passing capabilities the tranny had to shift down 2 gears which caused a loud "thunking" noise. Since the tranny is new, I'd give it a little time and the problem will be fixed.

Other than the tranny "thunking" noise, this is a solid vehicle on the street and a great performer. It feels and appears more durable than the base Equinox. I did not try to do any off-roading, and since the ground clearance is lower than the regular Equinox's, the wheels appear expensive, there is a sporty body kit including a front bumper that incorporates some styling cues from the soon-to-be-extinct Chevy Trailblazer SS, I do not dare try. When you think about it, you wouldn't off-road a sports car, why would you off-road a Sporty performance cross-over SUV?

This is one that will find its way into my driveway, and likely prevent me from buying a fully loaded Pontiac G8 when it gets the rumored 450bhp engine.

This vehicle is why I'm on this forum.

Here's a link with some pics: http://images.google.com/imgres?img...rolet+Equinox+Sport&gbv=2&svnum=10&hl=en&sa=G
  3. JeffW

JeffW Rockstar

Have they released any pictures yet or are they going on the new 07 model?
  4. domin8

domin8 New Member

Do you mean for the Equinox Sport? I provided a link at the bottom of my write-up for some pics. It is pretty much the same as a 2007 Equinox with the exception of a mild body kit, dual exhaust, firmer and lower suspension, new bumpers, more powerful engine, different tranny, etc. It is noticably different from a standard Equinox, but at the same time distinguishable too.
  5. JeffW

JeffW Rockstar

i was talking about any models i didnt notice your post before i posted mine :( mainly i wanted to see what they did with the silverado.
  6. MD4x4 Fireman

MD4x4 Fireman Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

They need to get the Camaro back out soon. My friend got to testdrive one so I know they have some so I guess 2009 maybe??? Anyone got any info on that?
  7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I've got access to all of the models and I have made some good connections with GM lately so I've gotten some good access to vehicles and information.

My goal was to get one of the moderators access to the GM website to help put the 2008 Photos up on the site. Maybe I can try to put at least one or two up for each one in the photo gallery.
  8. domin8

domin8 New Member

I just noticed that in the list of 2008 GM cars in the original post that you have the Monte Carlo listed. That car is now dead. There aren't going to be any after the 2007 model year.