Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New 2011 GM Diesel - Test drove Express Van in Detroit with it

Discussion in 'GM Diesel & DuraMax' started by ChevyFan, Aug 11, 2009.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I got to test drive the 2011 Chevy Express van with what will be the 2011 Duramax Diesel engine, which will also be out for the 2011 model year.

While I couldn't take a photo of it, the engine had a significant amount of hp and torque, had no problems getting that 7500 lb van up and running and it was VERY quiet, I mean it was very quiet, probably cruzing at 1400 RPM or lower for the cruise around the test track in Milford, Michigan. Shifting was smooth with the Allison tranny too.

Any questions? I can get more information from the folks at GM and I'll share what I can get.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  2. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

6.6L or something else?
  3. ChevyFan

I'll have to check, I think it was still a 6.6L with a few tricks added to it.
  4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Twin variable geometry turbos???????
  5. Mindi51982

Mindi51982 Rockstar 100 Posts

Wilford or do you mean Milford? :lol:
  6. ChevyFan

Typo, me tired from traveling. Just turn your computer upside down ... ;-)
  7. Mindi51982

Mindi51982 Rockstar 100 Posts

:lol:Just giving you a hard time.
  8. ChevyFan

I've made some contacts from the folks in GM up there, will try to get some more information on it and maybe do a live webcast with some of the designers. GET YOUR QUESTIONS READY! haha, maybe later this summer or fall.
  9. aburrob

aburrob New Member

Future of GM Vans

I SEE YOU WERE DRIVING A NEW EXPRESS VAN......I'm envious. WELL; I'm a big van fan, especially when mixed with dirt bikes. Lately its been all GM's 5.3L AWD models. They are awesome vans, good but not great fuel economy, pull like a bull, are quiet, ride straight as a dream and will go through snow like a bull dozer with snow piling up on the hood. I have had my issues with them, but all in all the perfect vehicle.

Here's my vans:

76 Plymouth Maxi Van with shag carpeting up and around, plus a turtle top. 318cid 3 speed. She was still runnin at 150K mi....God rest her soul..... Rust in Peace.
    77 Dodge Maxi Van with turtle top converted to camper (baby blue she was) 360 cid with electric aftermarket fuel pump to keep her going. Sold her to an over the road trucker at 2:00am. Truth!!! If she could only talk......
    89 Dodge Maxi Van bought used at Michigan DOT auction. She was a State Prison van...still had the wire cage and no inside door handles or air vents when I bought her. 360 cid This van was haunted, so I sold her to a church in Flint.
    2001 GMC 2500 12 passenger 5.7L 3.73 LOCKER. Awesome Van.....I fit a snow plow to her and plowed snow all winter. I sold her to someone in Florida to make up for it.
    2003 GMC 1500 Savana AWD with 2 sets of second row doors. 5.3L 3.73 gears. Also a great snow plower. It is like a van on rails.
    2004 GMC 1500 Savana AWD (current van) 5.3L 3.73 gears. This ole girl has been everywhere with me....better than a dog.

I need to add another van to the list....what is GM planning for the future? I heard about a 6 speed trans for the 6L motor, but what about the AWD versions?? Expand the line. Would be great to improve the Fuel economy. What is this about the diesel? AWD?? Emissions - Urea or EGR with improved combustion algorithmns? What about redesigns, new looks, new options?

GOTTA LOVE THE VAN
  10. rotaryenginepete

rotaryenginepete Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010