New 4.8 coming...is it big enough

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by ResOps, Aug 8, 2009.

Newest Photos

1. ResOps

ResOps New Member

I just recently ordered a 4.8 Crew Cab and it's not here yet but I'm getting concerned. Is the engine gonna be big enoughfor me? One of my friends ordered the 5.3 and now I'm questioning my order.
    I don't pull or carry much. Any comments from current owners on what the 4.8's are like?
    I'm currently driving a 4L Ranger supercab and find the 4L in the small truck has oodles of power
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

according to what your saying the 4.8 should have enough power. I haven't driven the 4.8 but there are plenty on here with that motor.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

new 4.8 coming is it big enough

I believe the new 4.8s have 295hp. Everybodys hp needs are differant, but I think you will be happy with it.
  4. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

get the 6.0 trust me

i regret my purchase :(
  5. ResOps

ResOps New Member

Well I tow my ATV and the odd load of wood in a 5 x 7 trailer -other than that its a passenger load. I'm not looking for a rocket, I just want to be able to pass cars when I want on the hiighway. My Ranger 4x4 has lots of passing oomph with its 207 hp engine but its alot smaller.
    I'm thinking of changing my order to the 5.3...
    (the old 72 in my sig was bored, balanced and printed with 4.56 gearing so I 'used' to be able to punch it and go :lol: but I'm past that -esp with gas prices these days)

The problem up here is the trucks are non-existant on the lots right now - waiting for them to come off the assembly line down in Margueritaville so I can't try one :grrrrrr: Oh I didn't mention - its coming with 3.42 gearing which seems low to me for the engine...(my Ranger has 4.11's)
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  6. MoBillyAla

MoBillyAla New Member 100 Posts

upgrade to 5.3..

I am an owner of an 07 4.8 and I think you might want to swap out for the larger engine, there are definitely times when just out and about I put my foot on the gas expecting it to lurch forward or something and its just not there. I,m avraging 17 mpg on the cheap gas so that might be an equal trade off...
  7. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

mine runs great, but then again i have a light truck with the 5 speed, and i pull 23mpg on average for highway, and in town it is 17mpg
  8. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

4.8 ****in sux

unless you have turbo and cams lol

did you wind up changing that order?

also you should have gotten the 5.3, they have flex fuel so that might help you out with gas.
  9. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

i know that my old 99 suburban 5.7 only has 255hp and like 330tq with 3.73 out back from the factory and have plenty of power and can pull ANYTHING I have thrown at it, including twoce pulling cars on a tralier for total weights over 7500lbs and NEVER had a problem of needing more power, not to mention that my suburban ways more then a pick-up does, i am sure you will be just fine.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  10. heavy chevy

heavy chevy New Member 100 Posts

man for get changing the motor change the gear size in it to 373. The 4.8 comes stock with 323 in it. Put the 373 gears in it and you will be very happy it will be able to tow and haul with the bigger engines. My 4.8 eats 5.3s all day. It is not always hp it is gearing that makes for power. That is why your ranger had passing power because of the gears in it. As far as fuel mileage goes the 5.3 gets better than the 4.8 but what ever engine you decide 4.8 5.3 or 6.2 get the 373 gears. GOOD LUCK but i think you will be happy with the 4.8 It is a great motor.