1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New-98 1500 2WD Suburban New Shocks? Bilsteins?

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by phoebeisis, Jul 4, 2007.

1. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

Hi,
    I'm a new member;last Friday I bought ($2950)a very high mile(195,600) 1998 Chevy Suburban 2wd ..I bought it because we are short of $$(family ilness+Katrina),and are having to sell the Honda Pilot that was our biggish evacuation vehicle,and we had to sell my Titan(same story$$).
    We are in a suburb 3 miles W of New Orleans,so we absolutely need a big vehicle to evacuate 3 adults,1 greyhound,4 cats,a couple of MTBs,maybe a MC, plus lots of other "stuff." The Suburban fits the bill perfectly.It was very inexpensive because of the $3 gas,and because of the high miles.It is pretty much the only really good luck the last 2 years.
    I haven't owned a Suburban, or a Chevy Truck before, but in general I'm familiar with cars/trucks,MCs.(had a 2001 Prizm-great little car-sold it).
    A couple of questions.
    1)It needs shocks. It has lots of sway,and it jellos(4-6 bounces) when you push down on any corner. What shocks should I get? I can get -mailorder-4 Bilstein monoshocks with HD valve setting for about $240.I have not much of an idea if these are worth $90 more than Gabriel Sensatrackshocks I can get at PepBoys for about $30 or so each+tax.Any ideas? I'll be installing them in my driveway;the Haynes manual makes in installation look straightforward. Anythings to watch out for in the install(other than to use jackstands,and not to trust the stock jack-I saw that other thread on the jack breaking)?
    2)What parts should I replace now to add reliability? I don't want to get stuck on the side of the road with a hurricane bearing down.The PO had the trans rebuilt-July 2006- at 186,000($2150).He had the AC, serp belt,valve and intake manifold gasket done march 2005 at 162,000 miles($2061).
    I'm thinking radiator hoses,oil,diff lube,trans fluid.
    3) What brake pads are out there that might increase braking power or braking quickness? I don't mind giving up a lot of rotor and brake pad wear for some more braking.The brakes are horrible, just not good,and they have a slow sorta "feel".I think this is typical for Suburban brakes of those years, but there must be a partial fix out there.

On the bright side,I love this truck.It is huge and comfortable,and according to a scanguage I have the mpg is a bit better than 10-11 mpg in pure stop and go city driving.This isn't bad for a 5300 lb vehicle especially considering the miles on the motor.It handles very well-ignoring the shot shocks which might be original-.I can see why folks love them.They just can't be beat for an evac/vacation vehicle if you have lots of kids or pets or stuff.
    Well,let me know on the shocks and maintenance.
    Thanks,
    Charlie
    ps I know a 85,000 mile vehicle would be more reliable, but it had to be under $4000out the door.This was $3320 TTL included.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2009