New audio system - Install it yourself or professional?

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by ChevyFan, Feb 19, 2006.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Just curious if those who put a new audio unit in their rig. Did you do it yourself or did you have a pro install it for you like at a big box shop like circuit city?

2. ProzacKid

ProzacKid Rockstar 100 Posts

Either way, it's not all that hard to install it yourself. It's just easier to have someone else do it.

That being said, I have seen a guy mess up his dash before. :) Hard not to laugh when he's trying to pry something out with a screwdriver. The screwdriver slips and gouges out his dash. :)

hehehe

3. Aeropagus

Aeropagus Rockstar Platinum Contributor 100 Posts

I've always done it myself. But, if it were discounted or part of the price of buying a new unit...then I would have it done at a big-named shop. If John Smith at the shop down the street is going to do it...I may as well do it myself.

4. devildg84

devildg84 New Member

Ive done it with all my cars, im going to do it the the tahoe when i get back from over seas in june

5. CompToyZ

CompToyZ New Member

Anyone with tool sense can do a system themselfs. I installed 6 TV's and 12,000 watts of audio in my Tahoe. Research and time are all you need. For the most part you can get pre-made adapters for almost any vehicle so it's just a matter of popping things together. In fact I am installing a better alarm in my Tahoe then I had previously installed, one with infrared camera, window module and relays for the door solenoids (I am also shaving my door handles myself lol) Just remember your Chilton's a comfy seat lol.

6. MN_Burbon

MN_Burbon Rockstar 100 Posts

Its really easy, if you can find the time to do it you should do it your self. if you extra money laying around that you have to spend then go ahead and pay somebody else.

Actually if you have that much extra money, let me know and I will do it for you ;-)

7. MN_Burbon

MN_Burbon Rockstar 100 Posts

Oh yeah and about that "slippery screwdriver" mentioned above, if you don't have the right tools and aren't willing to stop and go buy the right tool then pay somebody else becase as noted above the wrong tool can really screw things up.