1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Battery.. Any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by slimcubby, Dec 26, 2012.

1. slimcubby

slimcubby Member

Hey guys,

Lately my truck has been hard to start first thing in the morning and looks like the battery is going bad. Any one recommend a certain brand replacement?
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I like Diehard Platinum batteries from Sears. They're rebranded Odyssey batteries, cheaper than Odyssey batteries, have a stellar warranty, and there are brick & mortar Sears location across the country where you could leverage that warranty if you needed to do so.
  3. gamc

gamc New Member

I have had good luck with Autozone Duralast , good warranty and find them anywhere. if you get the gold series no BS warranty 3 years free replacement after that they pro rate . Used them for years
  4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I second this! I had my battery die like totally dead 0% charge and it still started my truck and ran it when my alternator died. They replaced it no questions asked. Of course I also bought a new alternator from them. My battery is a Gold Series with 800cca and 1000ca. The truck always starts.
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I probably should have mentioned that the Diehard Platinum warranty is 4 years (no BS) ... with another 4 years of pro-rated coverage.
  6. thrasher

thrasher Rockstar 100 Posts

Years ago I had an Exide battery. Basically it was like a HUGE deisel truck item...lasted 12 years and had it in 3 vehicles!!!!!!
  7. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Most of the batteries out there have a similar warranty, get whichever is the least expensive.
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree that they all have about the same warranty. But, some batteries are crap. I had a the best battery advanceautoparts sold and it failed after a few months. Yes, they replaced it for free. But, it was a hassle to deal with. I know a few guys that have had issues with the batteries from advance. I never had an issue with a duralast. I have had interstate that lasted for ever. The thing is that many batteries are made by the same company and just rebranded. So, if you thing you found what you want, do a google search and find out what other batteries that company makes. Like surreal said, you might get an odyssey cheaper if you by the diehard,
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  9. slimcubby

slimcubby Member

I think I am going with the Duralast Platinum.. The sears site doesn't show the platinum version available for my truck.. only the gold version. I have a '10 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3 V8 Flex
  10. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

My opinion is do not get a sears battery. every one I had internally broke.

the exide battery has been working for many years now 6 plus. the ac delco batteries I have had 7 yrs of service with them then starting to loose cranking power.

with sears diehard they open and you go from power to zero . then you get stuck.

- - - Updated - - -

before install charge the battery first.