1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

New BFG Rugged Terrain Tire

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by torqydd, Aug 16, 2011.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. duckduckdog

duckduckdog Rockstar 100 Posts

Ordered them last night from Discount Tire - Free shipping, plus $50 visa card on BFG tires right now. Got 6 months no interest + $30 visa card for using the Car Care Card. Should ship tomorrow. The $80 in cards will almost cover the mounting & balancing quote I recieved. All in $804 - can't beat it compared to ather quotes I got on the same tires($1050 - $1125). They have really good reviews and I found several favorable write-ups from different off-road publications. They have a 50,000 warranty which is hard to find on an AT. I'll keep everyone updated once I get them mounted.

2. torqydd

torqydd Rockstar

I would really like to know Duck when you do get them mounted and first ride impressions. The warranty is one thing that first caught my eye then the some what hybrid look is had to it. I am going to check out the link posted up and see if it says anything different from the mag. The only thing I wish the mags would do is test tires on full size rigs. The august mag was running them on Toyota mid size truck.

duckduckdog are you or will you be planning on taking these off the beaten path on occasion or strictly using these as a commuter tire. I am going to to have to write your name down and keep up with how they do since I have until 1st oct. to decide. Pics would be cool if you get the time when you get them on as well. Also what size did you end up going with?

3. duckduckdog

Yeah - I plan on using them off the beaten path occasionally. I don't do a lot of off-roading, but I have some remote areas that I hunt that will test their traction. I decided on these because it sounds like they really are designed for the type of driving I do. I drive my truck as my daily driver all week, but on the weekends, I'm usually out running trails or hunting and need something more aggressive than a highway tire, but definitely don't need a full-blown off-road tire. I hope that they will work out like I think they will. One thing I noticed when comparing them to the Firestone Destination A/T (which was also on my short list) is that the tread depth on BFG's are 12.5/32 compared to 11/32 on the Firestone. That should not only give a little more traction, but also gives you 16% more useable tread.
    I ended up going with the 275/60/20 and they will be mounted on the Tahoe wheels. I'll definitely be posting some pics as I expect this will completely change the look of my ride. I'll do some before and after! LOL

One article I read, (I think it was a crawl mag) put them on their full size tow rig and had some good things to say about them. Here is a link to the article:

http://www.crawlmag.com/news/bfgoodrich-rugged-terrain/

I'll definitely keep everyone posted once they arrive and I get them mounted.

4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I had a brand new set of 285/75/16's KO A/t's on my beast and they were the worst tire I have ever had, PERIOB BAR NONE, and this was in the winter as well. so they drove in every condition MN could throw at them in a 2 month period that year. I get rid of them and got my Maxx traction dunlop Rover M/T, these are awesome, yes a mud tire even in winter was awesome

5. duckduckdog

I had a set KO's on a previous truck and got real good service out of them. I was surveying back then and ended up in a lot of nasty places so I needed the traction and they always pulled through for me. Don't really need that right now, so I'm hoping the new Rugged Terrains will fit the bill.

BTW - just got the email, they have shipped! :D

6. torqydd

torqydd Rockstar

Thanks for the link duckduckdog and assuming by your name when you say off beatin path its to get to the duck blind. Your driving sounds a lot like my style of driving daily driven truck with use away from all the concrete. I am going to have to go back to the store and just stare at these for a while.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

Where are you still finding the Rover M/T maxx traction everywhere in the dallas area has discontinued those

7. duckduckdog

Tires arrived at the house yesterday! :D

They look even better in person!

8. stevenje98

stevenje98 New Member

9. BIGREDDADDY53

BIGREDDADDY53 Rockstar 100 Posts

Well I think this is the tire I'm going to go with. I live in Vancouver, Canada and get tons of rain and am only 20 min. from the back country with lots of snow and lots of back roads. So my tires should be done in Aug. and I found them for $211.00 installed. I just want to make sure I get all the tread I paied for (250.00 per tire). Thanks for all the feedback and thanks to MFLEETWOOD for pointing me to the right form.

10. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

You're welcome...and don't forget to post back up with your thoughts once you've put some miles on them.