1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New body Style headlights

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by 1st Synthetics, Feb 24, 2009.

1. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Has anyone else here been so lucky to remove the headlights on a new body style Sierra / Silverado? You have to take off the front bumper cover and 2 screws on top ans 1 behind the bumper cover. DO NOT TRY and take out headlight without removing bumper cover. you will break the mounting tab. I know someone that did this. I took mine off to put hide-a-way LED stobes in mine.
  2. Never Enough

Never Enough Rockstar 100 Posts

Not true. My headlights have been out 3-4 times and we've never touched the front bumper. Just be careful...
  3. 1st Synthetics

Taking the bumper cover off is the spec for removing the headlights. I bet you scraped some paint off pulling them out with out removing the cover. It just seems like a stupid set up for the headlights.
  4. bjackson

bjackson New Member

I've had mine out a couple of times.. Today I had to put a new strobe bulb in. Didnt remove bumper cover, but I did take this grill out. Everytime I've had mine out I noticed the passenger side was harder to remove than driver's...

07 NNBS CC Silverado
  5. 1st Synthetics

The bumper cover comes off with 4 screws, 2 in each wheel well. I own a Helm service manual and that is what it says to do. It makes it a lot easier.
  6. mjalstad

mjalstad Rockstar 100 Posts

Mitchell shows to remove the grille. It looks like quite the procedure though. A lot more to it than the old body styles (twist and remove retainer, then remove headlight). It also calls for 0.8 hours of labor to replace one headlight. So if your headlight burns out, and you go to the dealer it will probably cost about $100 for labor. That is crazy!
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  7. 1st Synthetics

Very crazy. What ever happened to pulling off the road into a store, and changing it in the parking lot.:grrrrrr:
  8. brownpridex111

brownpridex111 Rockstar 100 Posts

thats true i have to remove mine too when i install the hid kit but i didnt remove the grill u have to remove it cause is holds on the head lights and grill and i cant remove the grill with out removing the bumper cover
  9. Chevy Newby

Chevy Newby Rockstar

off subject

hey where can I get one of those shop manuels for the truck? I wil be changing my headlights and grill shortly and I dont want to run into any problems. I appreciate it guys, just shoot me a private message.