GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

New Bowties!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by jake's silverado, Jan 18, 2012.

1. jake's silverado

jake's silverado New Member

They have arrived...Instal this weekend... hopefully!

Attached Files:

2. Coach24

Coach24 New Member

Hey your Bowties are all Black. Are they defective?
  3. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max New Member

Post picts when they are installed!!!
  4. GMCErica

GMCErica New Member

AWESOME J!! Can't wait to see them installed... POST PICS as soon as you do!! Gonna look sic! Good choice with the black bowties...
  5. 747

747 New Member

Post pics! Im going to paint mine black soon, black bowties FTW!
  6. jake's silverado

Front one is in... I may wait a couple of months for warmer weather as I have to do it outside. I want to make sure the 2 way sticky stuff is not effected by the cold. Would it fall off if I put it on in below 0 C?

Front was really easy to change!

Attached Files:

7. jake's silverado

:lol::tussor:
  8. GMCErica

GMCErica New Member

Hey,
    I know that is it cold in Ontario now.. 0'C or freezing, is going to affect the adhesive glue no question, especially with the snow and humidity and freezing temps, wait another few weeks and let it warm up to like 5'C and then you won't worry about the sticking...

Keep me posted... Were going for TIM's when I come back home in March.. :)
  9. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 New Member

The best bet is too use a heat gun that way in any weather the adhesive will stick with no problem. I ordered me a set of blackbowties for the grille and the tailgate and looks really good. I now have a 1 piece black mesh rbp lookalike grille and only have the bowtie on the rear now. They make the truck look 10x better.
  10. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member

Those would look sweet done in carbon fiber.
  11. LB'07-Z

LB'07-Z New Member

Did you have to remove the grill to change the bowtie? I wanted to just paint it but mine has a chip in it so I want to just replace it with the same one you did.
  12. jake's silverado

Yes they would! DW (dear Wife) got these for me so I'm Happy!:great:

Yes and I have a heat gun... I just hate workin in the cold. It will be warmer here soon so I can wait! I Hope!:neutral:

Sure sign me up for Tims anytime! Coach isn't coming right?:rofl: OR is there a response here for things you don't say to your spouse...
    Hey Erica is coming for coffee!

Nope no need to try and convince anyone that you will need a new grill. At the most there is a plastic piece on top of the rad with about a dozen clips (push pin type) that a flat head screw driver will make short work of. I ran out and took some pictures. I will post these very shortly once i get them off my blacberry...
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  13. jake's silverado

Here are 3 pics that may be of use! Picture 1 shows the top of the Rad. You can see the opening and if you have small enough arms you can probably reach through he opening to get this done but i recommend removing the dozen or so pin and clip things as this adds about 5 minutes to the whole time. The last 2 pics are of the back of the OE bowtie. there are 2 locator pins and 3 clips. The clips are released by pushing the center part to release the clip. I had a wooden wedge of the bowtie to keep pressure so the clip wouldn't snap back in. I used a smaller slot screwdriver to release the bowtie from the grille. The billet bowties that someone asked if they were "defective":neutral: are attached by two very small pieces of threaded rod turned into the back/ insert them through the grille apply 2 oversize washers and the 3/8 nuts tightened. Re install the plastic rad cover and you are done. Less than 20 minutes. Now that I think about it I may take it all apart Saturday and apply some thread locker to it! Just so it doesn't vibrate loose!

Attached Files:

14. LB'07-Z

LB'07-Z New Member

Thanks man that helps alot I thought the OE bowtie was attached the same as the black ones do with a nut on the backside until I got to messing around with it I hope to be making this mod soon and this definately helps. Truck looks great by the way.
  15. AMac

AMac New Member

for the tailgate make sure you clean the area w/ rubbing alcohol, then you can heat up the area w/ a blow drier if nervous. but I would wait until it is at least 10 degrees c.

Front one looks good I got mine w/ out the border so it's nice to see what it looks like w/out the border.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

[MENTION=25770]jake's silverado[/MENTION] "I just hate workin in the cold." oh c'mon it will only take 10 minutes or less...LOL:rofl:
  16. SWAT13

SWAT13 New Member

yeah...I'm partial to the black bowties. Good call!!