Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

New brake lines?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Tdaz250, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Tdaz250

Tdaz250 Rockstar 100 Posts

I've seen alot of people say that just upgrading brake lines to 'braided brake lines' helps out/improves braking alot. Just wondering what the good brands are for these 'braided brake lines' and if anybody that has new brake lines could throw in how it helped out what which ones you have. Thanks!

2. grimreapersshadow

grimreapersshadow Rockstar 100 Posts

summitracing has em several company's make em and there an a great help in the long run and firm up the brake pedal more ive got em and love em russell performance or earls are good brands

3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

4. Tdaz250

Tdaz250 Rockstar 100 Posts

Illegal?

What are illegal brake lines? i just ask cause the name on the link it says "street legal" Thanks for the link btw :great:

5. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Thanks for the link. I just came across this post and it happens to be something I was looking into a while back but never decided on where to go with it. A couple of my buddies who off road a lot said that upgrading the brake lines is a must.

-Greg

6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

they are a great add-on, first they protect the line better, and second they stop the expansion of the line under braking. You can pick them up for a very reasonable price, so it has always made me wonder why they just dont come from the factory this way

7. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The brakes are the one thing on a vehicle that the factory does not skimp on parts or part quality. The factory brake hoses are all you need and will last for years. Once the factory hoses go bad they will either start to seep and you can see this or they will burst through the inner hose which makes a bulge in the outer. Then they need replacing. This pertains to stock trucks.

Now if you lift your truck you will need longer hoses. If you change your exhaust you may need longer hoses or if you just like the look get the longer steel braded hoses. I have a set of Russel hoses on my Toyota which has a 4" lift and a 1" body lift. Th

8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Any lines that dont have a DOT stamp on them are illegal.
    Chances are nothing would ever go bad on an "illegal" set of lines but if it does, or if you get caught running them and have an accident even if the brakelines arent the cause you can still be fined very heavily and in some situations face jail time for using them.
    It isnt hard for a manufacturer to go through the certification process to legalize automotive parts so it doesnt make sense for them not to get items certified for public road use.
    The manufacturer has to supply a couple sets of the fininshed product, a statement of origin and use paperwork, and the testing fee's to DOT for testing.
    Most manufacturers dont want to certify parts for street use because they feel the cost return isnt enough or their simply to lazy. The off-highway segment sells enough parts to keep them happy.

9. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Great advice Tim!

10. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

New Brake lines

I replaced my lines with Russel DOT lines when I lifted my truck and I like em.