New Brakes, Rotors and Calipers - Squishier then worn out brakes!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by bobbyg35, Aug 6, 2011.

1. bobbyg35

bobbyg35 New Member

Ok guys, I have a problem with my 02 Chevy Silverado 1500. I hurt my leg a few months ago and I cannot change my brakes myself. My brakes were worn out and my rotors were wearing thin. My plans were to replace them with performance slotted rotors and performance pads since I have 35" tires I wanted more stopping power, but plans changed when I got hurt.

So I did what I had to do, I took my truck down to Les Schwab and spent $1000.00 on 4 new rotors, 8 new pads, and their remanufactured calipers. They drained the fluid and bled the brakes after. Now my brakes feel more squishier then they did when I had more worn out rotors and pads. I can't think of any reason why they would feel like this, so I took it back to Les Schwab and they bled the brakes again. He told me there is a wear in period because of the gunk that comes on the new rotors, but why would this gunk cause my brake pedal feel squishy and go 3/4 way down to the floor?

Hopefully someone can shed some light on new brakes from Les Schwab and tell me this is normal and it will go away... if not hopefully you can explain something I can have Les Schwab do to fix it!

Thank GM guys.

2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Les Schuab is blowing smoke. It has nothing to do with junk on the rotors or pads, or breaking them in. The soft pedal is because there is AIR in the lines. You may need to talk to LS about paying for you to go to a GM dealer & have them bled with a Tech 2 bleeder if they don't have one.

3. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Thats a good point. Les Schwab might have bled the brakes to the best of their ability both times, which would work in most cases. BUT, I have heard that on some of these trucks the ABS pump will trap air when the brakes are bled. The only solution in this case is basically to have a dealer or someone else with a GM tech 2 bleed the brakes because the ABS pump will have to be cycled by commanding it on and off with the tech 2. If Les Schwab is unable to do that due to lack of the proper computer tool to command the pump on, or any other reason, I would talk to them about either refunding the cost of the bleeding or picking up the tab to have the dealer do it for you.

4. stephan

PMF, the Tech 2 bleeders are a dealership only item aren't they? I'm thinking GM has proprietary rights to them cuz I've never seen them anywhere else.

5. pmf608

the tech 2 bleeding to the best of my understanding is just using a tech 2 to command the abs pump on and off. The best bet would still be a dealer because the tech 2 is the computer tool built specifically for GM. There are independent shops that will have a tech 2, but they could be difficult to find since a new tech 2 runs upwards of $5,000 and used ones seem to run about $3,000. If it weren't such a huge cost, i would love to pick up a used one myself - its amazing what you can do with them

6. bobbyg35

bobbyg35 New Member

Thanks for the replies, I am going to take my truck back into Les Schwab on Monday and tell them they need to redo it all and this time use a GM tech 2 bleeder or they can pay for my brakes to be redone at the dealership... talk about spendy!

7. stephan

Bobby, I'm sure LS did fine on the rest of your brake job & it doesn't need to be re-done. They just need to be bled of all the air, so the pedal is no longer spongy. If LS doesn't have a tech 2 bleeder, you know what to do. They may not even be aware of why they aren't bleeding out properly.

8. pmf608

I agree with Stephan in that they might not even realize there was an issue. I do want to clear up one thing to help avoid any possible communication issues with the people as Les Schwab. The tech 2 is not a brake bleeder - it is GM's computer scanner-programmer tool. In this situation, it is just used to activate the ABS pump so that it pumps the fluid and air through and out of it. It would probably be possible to jumper some wires to activate the pump, but doing it by computer is the only safe way.

As a side note, I just thought of the fact that the GM Tech 2 tool would not necessarily be the only computer that could do this job either. I have worked with some scanners from Snap-On that have had the ability to control modules (such as an ABS pump or fuel pump) on and off. So, when you go in, I would ask them to rebleed your brakes using a scanner to command the ABS pump on so that it is also bled.

9. bobbyg35

bobbyg35 New Member

I dropped my truck off at Les Schwab this morning around 8:00AM, I just got a call at 3:00PM from their head brake technician. From the sounds of it, they have no clue whats going on and why the pedal still goes 3/4 to the floor before it stops my truck. Before I said anything about the Tech 2 scanner, he said they ordered a set of Police grade pads and new calipers and will be installing those in the morning. I wanted my truck back tonight so I mentioned the Tech 2 idea, he explained to me this.

We did not drain fluid out of your ABS pump, we only sucked the fluid from your master cylinder and refilled it then, bled the brakes. He said he bled the brakes again for 4 hours today and still the pedal does not want to grab like it did with worn out brakes or correctly for that matter. So if these new police pads don't fix the issue, were going to put back on all of your old stock parts and see if the pedal returns to normal... if it does then I bet Les Schwab will be scratching their heads...

I am going to try and get LS to either A: pay for my truck to get the TECH 2 job from GM dealership, or B: refund my entire payment and I will go get my brakes done elsewhere.

10. davedyno

davedyno Member

I feel your pain with your squishe brake problem on your 02 Silverado. I was never happy with the brakes on my 2002 Silverado from the day I got it new, if it were not for the great brakes on my camper, it would have been a major problem. The first time I replace the brakes at around 50,000 or less it did not make any difference in feel. When did the job again at about 100,00 miles. I used EBC slotted rotors and EBC pads and replaced the rubber brake lines on the front, also rebuilt calipers all the around. But what I sure correct the problem was the Motive pressure brake bleeder. I got all my brake parts and pressure bleeder from Summit except for the rubber brake lines for the front.
    Dave
    2011 Silverado Ext 4X4 5.3 Z71 18" Wheel ( Great Brakes )