New Brakes selection?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by littlehugger, Mar 21, 2013.

1. littlehugger

littlehugger New Member

I will be replacing the front brakes soon on my 2007 1500 Silverado and need help selecting which front brakes pads I should purchase. I do some trailer towing (utility and boat trailer) but managed to have the original brakes last 95,000 miles. I am considering replacing the rotors as well. Is there a brake pad that does not create dust on the front wheels? I looked on the Rockauto site and there are a lot of pads with various pad composition, how can I select the best pads for the application? Thanks

2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Ceramics will give less dust and quieter than semi metallic (I like semi metallic better for certain reasons though). I typically buy Napa's premium brake pads (there are reybestos, hawk etc though too that are quality). there are always rotor upgrades too if you want increased performance/better cooling such as cross drilled/slotted rotors.

3. littlehugger

littlehugger New Member

Thanks for the info. Do you know of a way to research the many options available without going through all the manufacture slanted ads?

4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Regarding searching of Brake Pads and/or Rotor's, One Site that I find very useful is the.....Brake Warehouse,

****Brake Pads,
    http://www.brakewarehouse.com/brake_pads.asp

****Brake Rotor's,
    http://www.brakewarehouse.com/brake_rotors.asp

Beyond getting new Rotors and Pads, I would mention, that if its with-in your Budget, replacing the factory rubber brake-lines, and go with Braided Stainless Steel Brake-lines, as this will reduce the soft mushy feel when braking......I would also mention that when you do get a new set of rotors/pads, this would be a Good Time to Flush the whole Brake System.

I've Installed on my Silverado.....SSBC...Stainless Steel Slotted Rotors, with Hawk Pads, and along with the SS Brake-lines, this Brake Setup, that I've gone with on my Silverado has been a.....Very Solid Improvement, Over the Factory/OEM Brake Setup.

Also with you mentioning...."
    but managed to have the original brakes last 95,000 miles"........IMO that Speaks Volumes as to maybe going and/or staying with the Factory Brake Pads.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  5. littlehugger

littlehugger New Member

thanks for the help