New Brakes selection?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by littlehugger, Mar 21, 2013.

Newest Photos

1. littlehugger

littlehugger New Member

I will be replacing the front brakes soon on my 2007 1500 Silverado and need help selecting which front brakes pads I should purchase. I do some trailer towing (utility and boat trailer) but managed to have the original brakes last 95,000 miles. I am considering replacing the rotors as well. Is there a brake pad that does not create dust on the front wheels? I looked on the Rockauto site and there are a lot of pads with various pad composition, how can I select the best pads for the application? Thanks
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Ceramics will give less dust and quieter than semi metallic (I like semi metallic better for certain reasons though). I typically buy Napa's premium brake pads (there are reybestos, hawk etc though too that are quality). there are always rotor upgrades too if you want increased performance/better cooling such as cross drilled/slotted rotors.
  3. littlehugger

littlehugger New Member

Thanks for the info. Do you know of a way to research the many options available without going through all the manufacture slanted ads?
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Regarding searching of Brake Pads and/or Rotor's, One Site that I find very useful is the.....Brake Warehouse,

****Brake Pads,
    http://www.brakewarehouse.com/brake_pads.asp

****Brake Rotor's,
    http://www.brakewarehouse.com/brake_rotors.asp

Beyond getting new Rotors and Pads, I would mention, that if its with-in your Budget, replacing the factory rubber brake-lines, and go with Braided Stainless Steel Brake-lines, as this will reduce the soft mushy feel when braking......I would also mention that when you do get a new set of rotors/pads, this would be a Good Time to Flush the whole Brake System.

I've Installed on my Silverado.....SSBC...Stainless Steel Slotted Rotors, with Hawk Pads, and along with the SS Brake-lines, this Brake Setup, that I've gone with on my Silverado has been a.....Very Solid Improvement, Over the Factory/OEM Brake Setup.

Also with you mentioning...."
    but managed to have the original brakes last 95,000 miles"........IMO that Speaks Volumes as to maybe going and/or staying with the Factory Brake Pads.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  5. littlehugger

littlehugger New Member

thanks for the help