1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Burban owner, and a few questions

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jeepinguy, Sep 20, 2010.

1. jeepinguy

jeepinguy New Member

First, lemme start with the truck,....

1996 GMC Suburban
    350/Auto, Dual air 4X4
    175,XXX on the clock

Now on to the questions.

Im a new owner, and have never owned a vehicle this size.
    I am a single U.S. Marine on active duty, and have never had the need for a truck this huge. I will be using this truck to tow my weekend toy (small version of the Jeep Cherokee) to and from the trail head as ofter as i can.

I bought the truck from a good friend, and i knew when i got it that the transmission would need to be replaced. The thing is, that he had it replaced about 10,000 miles ago. Needless to say, it wasnt done right, and the original owner wasted whatever he paid to have it done.

As of now, i have 1st, and second with a normal shift pattern, but once it lets go of 2nd, it revvs to about 3500 rpms as it looks for 3rd. It finally finds 3th, but only after i let off of the throttle, and it never even attempts to look for overdrive. Reverse is fine.
    The fluid is burned, and the check engine light is on.( i will be putting it on a scanner tommorrow afternoon)

If i assume the worst, and in fact its gonna need a complete rebuild, where do you guys reccommend i go for a reliable (labor reimbursed warranty claim) that i can do business with either online, or in the southern california area?

I have been looking around, and i have read about the less than desireable factory sunshell. The previous owner said the guy that rebuilt it mentioned that the sunshell was cracked pretty bad. With any luck, i can find a rebuild that has the "beast" that i have read good things about.

Any hep that you guys have would be appreciated.

Echo
    Seven
    Delta
    Out!
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You can get a factory serta , a GM rebuilt transmission that has a GM warranty so its good at any GM dealership. Also welcome to the club.
  3. jeepinguy

jeepinguy New Member

I forgot to ask, are there other vehicles that share the same transmission?
    I.E. can i take the tranny out of a silverado pickup, and put it into the suburban? If so, what years, to and from , will fit?

Thanks
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

You can get a tranny out of a 1996-1998 (somtimes a 99) Silverado/Sierra 4wd, Also you can get the tranny out of a 1996-1999 Suburban/Yukon/Tahoe. And that is really it.
    Good luck with the rebuild, and keep us informed so anyone else who has this problem can also figure it out.
  5. jeepinguy

jeepinguy New Member

Ok, after an insane amount of reading online, and seeing lots of negative things about the sunshells, i have narrowed my transmission swap choices down th either Monster transmissions, or pro built automatics.
    The price difference is about 1000 dollars, and the pro built one is the pricey one.
    Warranty- probuilt 1year, and in the event of a failure, the owner said he would cover up to 300 of the R&R IF his transmission failed due to workmanship
    Monster transmissions said the warranty was 3 year UNLIMITED mileage warranty, IF the trans failed due to workmanship.
    Monster included free shipping in thier price, and probuilt wants 100 bux (included in the probuilt price above)

All in all, i am leaning towards Monster, since an in depth search of monster trans horror stories were quickly adressed by their customer service. I was hard pressed to find any bad storied about probuilt altogether.

Does anyone here have any experience with either of these builders?
  6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Check out FinishLineTransmissions.com
  7. jeepinguy

jeepinguy New Member

**UPDATE** I ordered the transmission, after numerous emails with "Josh" in thier tech suppport dept.
    He was VERY knowledgeable, and managed to give me a military discount. It wasnt mush, but it was definately better than nothing.
    Tranny arrived just as the tracking number and website said it would, and was encased in a custom built box.
    I ordered a case of thier reccommended synthetic fluid, and a new torque converter. I cannot comment enough how impressed i was with the quality, and the attention to detail when it arrived.
    The install went flawless, and i only swapped a minimal amount of components from the old case, to the new transmission.
    As soon as i went on the test drive, i could tell that this transmission was solid. i currently have about 300 miles on the transmission, and they have been both in congested traffic, and highway speeds. As it gets broken in, i am confident that it will continue to provide strong shifts.

Overall, i will 100% reccomend Monster Transmissions to anyone looking for the 4l60e. They offered and in depth detail of all of the upgraded components that were going into the transmission, and assured me that this was the correct transmission to fit my application. Evidently, they custom build transmissions according to the camshaft in the engine that it will be behind.

DISCLAIMER..... I DO NOT WORK FOR MONSTER TRANSMISSION! I am posting this based on first hand experiance, and not the heresay, E-chatter on the web.

If anyone has more questions , i can be reached at jeepinguyatgmaildawtcom