1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New Catalytic Converter Question

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Tom Evans, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Tom Evans

Tom Evans Rockstar

I just replaced the catalytic converters on my 2002 Chevrolet Suburban with the 5.3L Flex Fuel engine ("Z" engine). I installed a Walker 50511 catalytic converter assembly. It went on very easily and fit perfectly. I also replaced all four of the oxygen sensors with OEM Denso sensors.

I put the vehicle on a logging scanner and scanned all four oxygen sensors. The upstream sensors switched back and fourth between the normal extreems with the expected rapidity. The downstream oxygen sensors stayed mainly at one extreme. One was at .8 volts and the other around 0 volts. The downstream oxygen sensors' voltages would change when a dramatic event occurred, such as hard acceleration, but would eventually go to one of the extremes. No codes are pending and the Check Engine light is not lit.

I only have about 20 miles on the new converters. Should it take some time for the new catalytic convers and oxygen sensors to "break-in" ?
  2. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Don't know what voltage range they have while operating so it may or may not be a big deal, sorry no help there. Since they are new, would it be hard to swap them left to right and see if the difference follows the sensor?
  3. Tom Evans

Tom Evans Rockstar

Good point. It's realtivelely easy to get to the back sensors to swap them, particularly since they are not siezed in place yet.

I've also sent an inquiry to the manufacturer of the catalytic converters to see what they have to say on this matter.