new center console with ipad installed

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by mikeshere443, Jun 11, 2012.

1. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Wow.. that thing looks really good! haha.. my talent stops after torquein down the final bolt on an intake manifold after a rebuild.. i have ZERO finesse for things like that.

#JEALOUS OF SKILL

2. dadngt

dadngt Rockstar 100 Posts

Fiberglassing is something I've been wanting to try for a long time but don't know anyone who can give pointers like where to even get the stuff. I have some wood working skills with a scroll saw. This center console looks professional. I think I would try a project like this since I'm having a hard time getting my jump seat black, What is the specs on the wood used? & The wood frame does remain in the console after finished & not like a mold that can be removed when the glass dries?

My old mustang if anyone has been in a fox body 87-93 mustang probably know on the center console there was an ashtray with a faulty door that never stayed closed nest to the e brake. I took a couple cup holder pieces I found & bondoed them in where the ash tray was looked good but not the right material.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  3. mikeshere443

mikeshere443 New Member

You can buy all the fiberglass stuff at home depot and the fleece at a fabric store the wood was just mdf very easy to cut but there's not much to fiberglassing just takes a lot of sanding to get it smooth

4. medicmatt

medicmatt Member 100 Posts

So all in all, how much did this cost you from start to finish?

5. dadngt

I've worked with mdf before it is easy to use but usually the 3/4 is only available & that seems way to thick compaired to your pics, but I'll look arround other places to see what I find. Thanks for the leads

6. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Outstanding! I'm planning to do something similar with my Burb but I'm going to hold off till I decide exactly how I'm going to modernize the interior.

7. mikeshere443

mikeshere443 New Member

i used 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch both were in stock at home depot and after everything it probably costed me about $350 the most expensive parts were the ipad cage that i bought from halosupercars and the linear actuator from firgelli both of those were about $100 a piece the materials were all cheap

8. dadngt

Sweet thanks. I've been dealing with small town lumber yards, Home Depot is about 30 minutes away so I'll be checking there later on. I need to go sit in the truck now & see exactly what I would want to do. Don't worry I'm not going to copy your console exactly just maybe the basic shape lol I don't have an I pad. Well back to the drawing board.

9. Historiker

Historiker New Member

I joined this forum so I could comment on this thread. Awesome work! I love the idea of a mount for my tablet (ASUS Transformer Prime).

It looks as if you used a CNC router to cut the parts, if not then you have a very good hand with a jigsaw.

I was looking for a new bench seat (1990 Silverado) and had tried a set of buckets but did not like them. Now I am rethinking the buckets.

I do have a CNC router table and the fiberglass skill to make one of these. You have inspired me, thanks.

10. davemight

davemight New Member

Pretty darn nice! I like the way you incorporated the brackets/legs from the center seat. working with fiberglass gives you so much lead way and you're only restricted by your imagination. Believe me, learn a few tricks with glass and you won't want to work with anything else. considerable time and thought went into the project. Well done!