Bug Report New Chat - Bug Report & Features Request

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by ChevyFan, Feb 28, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

We have a TRIAL VERSION of a new chatbar at the bottom of everyone's screen.

Please use this thread (and ONLY this thread) to report BUGS and to give suggestions as to how you would like the chat software to work. Also, remember that just because it doesn't do what you want it to do ... that doesn't mean it's broken.

PLEASE NO OFF-TOPIC CONVERSATIONS IN THIS THREAD.
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Mobile doesn't always refresh and you can't set sounds. Reg chat is great so far wish it kept history for a bit longer.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

After extended use without a page refresh, chat sometimes freezes/hangs ... it just doesn't take input, anymore, and the only way you know it happened is that the server accepted your text but did not bother to display it in the chat scroll window. A page reload will resolve the problem but you still must re-type whatever you sent that was lost/eaten.

I suspect there may be a session timeout behind this. That's just how it feels and is a guess ... based on the fact that if I'm browsing continuously while chatting this doesn't seem to occur.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if chat is open and the a page is loaded/refreshed, the chat is now closed. i.e. Chat window state is not preserved through page loads. This means that if you are browsing the site while trying to chat you must now re-open the chat window every time you post, navigate the forums, etc.

The 'Keep Room Open' option doesn't resolve the problem, it just inverts it when enabled. (You may just want to browse the site because no one's online ... but with the option enabled you now have the chat box open all of the time. If you close it and load a new page ... it opens the chat room back up.)

Chat room state needs to be preserved across page loads ... such that if the user closed it and then loads a page ... it stays closed. If the user opens it and loads a page, it remains open. Fumbling with a toggle is clunky and an un-necessary hassle for users, especially given that window/app state preservation isn't a new or particularly complex concept.

- - - Updated - - -

And a feature request:
    Users should be able to move things around on the chat bar to suit their tastes. If they aren't facebook users they should be able to close the facebook link instead of wasting space. If they want chat rooms on the left and private chats on the right they should be able to do that. It's supposed to be a tool bar ... and just like a tool chest, one layout of tools just doesn't work for everyone. Some people are on tablets, some on laptops, still others on huge screens, multi-screens, or both. With a user base as large as our and with network-capable computing devices being more diverse than ever, some user-configurability for the chat toolbar (and, off-topic, even the width of the site, when displayed) seems appropriate.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Mobile chat kinda stopped working...... I can't see any usernames or my chats.
  5. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

• I would like the ability to set my status in chat and have it remember the setting if I need to change it.
    • I don't have the ability to resize the chat window (docked) in chrome, FF or IE), I am only unable to "un dock" it.
    • It would be nice to be able to display times tamps of im's and turn them on or off in the settings.
    • When I un dock the chat from the page, I get a blank page (could be my security software)
    • I would like to see the last 5 minutes/ or last 20-30 chat messages back and forth so I don't join a conversation mid way through and throw it off ( like the original chat when I first joined did).
  6. AMac

AMac New Member 100 Posts

is the chat trial over? It's not at the bottom of my screen
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

nope, it is still there
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I see it.....:glasses:
  9. AMac

AMac New Member 100 Posts

hmmm...I use Safari for my IE and it was there last night, tonight it's not and would be useful to ping someone with a question. I'll try it out in another IE app. Thank you
  10. Curky

Curky New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I don't see it?