New code reader

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by unplugged, Jan 13, 2007.

1. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

An moderate price code reader from CarMD (Winner CES innovations award)
    Get it for $90 at : http://www.carmd.com/
    [​IMG]

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Wow, that's pretty cool.

3. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

AH but will it clear the codes?

It doesn't say in the add.

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

In their rotating ad, they have a blurb that say, "Keep your mechanic honest" with a shifty looking mechanic looking up at you. :)

5. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Nice price, but I'm guessing that it's just an, "FYI Tool" It won't let you reset codes, just gather info.

6. unplugged

From the CarMD website:
    Q: Can I use CarMD to turn off my “CHECK ENGINE” light?
    A: No. It is not recommended for drivers to turn off their vehicle’s “CHECK ENGINE” light until the pending or current problem has been identified and repairs confirmed. If you are a confident do-it-yourselfer or have confirmed that the “CHECK ENGINE” light is illuminated because of a loose gas gap and wish to turn it off, we recommend purchasing a product called an OBD2 code reader or scan tool from your local auto supply store.

Yes that missing feature would probably make it a no sale for me. My code reader allows erasing the codes. I suppose you could disconnect the battery and clear the codes that way if you wanted to get the online support from CarMD.

7. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Still not a bad little unit, if all you're doing is trying to stay ahead of the game before your mechanic feeds you a line of crap. I think I would consider buying it, if I didn't do my own repairs.

8. LOW_07

LOW_07 Member

Might as well the new Superchips programmer. Comes with code reader and a bunch of other logging abilities. And gives you more horsepower and torque. and better gas mileage. :)

9. unplugged

Yes, the Superchips unit offers more features but for $300+. Great if you've modified your truck/car, but the $99 units are better for diagnostic only uses.