New Engine For My 1999 K1500 Suburban Advice

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Ridgeback, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Ridgeback

Ridgeback New Member

So I am FINALLY getting this done. I have a 99 suburban that spun a couple crank bearings. We had a new baby on the way then so money was tight but I am getting the burb back in working order now. I dropped the engine off at the machine shop yesterday and found out that both heads are cracked. So heres where I'm at. I dont want to have to deal with this again for a long time. I am looking into making the 350 vortec a 383 with all new guts, seeing as I need all new anyway. I tow my enclosed work trailer with it and this will help with power. I have issues with getting new used castings for the vortec heads if they are prone to cracking. If I wanted to take chances, I would have just bought a used engine for $600 and rolled the dice. I would rather get new new heads that will last like the new engine but money is still a concern.

Has anyone done a 383 upgrade on a 350? Hows the computer like the bigger CID? Which heads would give me the best bang for my bucks and last longer than the stock cast heads?

Thanks so much for the help and tips!

Nathan

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I believe all you have to do to make the ECM ready for the bigger CID is to flash it so it can relearn everything. I think Summit has parts for doing that upgrade and they might have full kits. You should check them and then see if you can find them cheaper somewhere else.

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

A few years back I did one, Dart heads work well on that combination.
    The ECM will work ok in stock form as pointed out let it relearn.
    Theres s couple of piggy back chips available for the TBI and ECM, but my experience with them is their more trouble than their worth.