Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New exhaust idea: Flowmaster Super 50 SUV over dual exhaust.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Nov 15, 2012.

1. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Ok, I was talking to one of the reps at Flowmaster and he recommended that I just get a replacement muffler to take place of the big fat stock muffler.

My 2013 Silverado has a chrome exhaust tip that I like a lot.

He said to go with the Super 50 (part# 853057) over the Super 40 as with the AFM will sound like crap when it goes into V4 mode.

Do any of the forum members have any input on the Super 50 on a 5.3 Silverado with a single exhaust out? Does is sound good?

Thanks.
  2. Kapelusprime

Kapelusprime Member

My only fear would be the annoying in cab droning that occurs when you put on such an unrestrictive muffler. Sure you'll get a nice tone when your on the pedal, but the droning in the cab at idle really gets old.
  3. stchman

My 2008 Silverado I had a Flowmaster 40 knock off with dual exhaust and it sounded real good. The AFM portion of it never bothered me at all.

I think I've decided to go with the Flowmaster 40 (part # 953047) instead of the 50 as the 50 is moderate and the 40 is aggressive.
  4. Kapelusprime

Kapelusprime Member

Right on, I've put duels on my last three trucks. The last one more than the others had a real noticable drone at idle. I went with a stainless high quality set up from a local muffler shop. They have always done me right on my classic car restorations but this last muffler I had installed on my last truck was just too much flow. It sounded like a desert racer in the cab. it's cool at first, but being a daily driver, it got real old real quick. Good luck, post up your results after a week or so of the install when you have a good day to day result.
  5. 2012sierra

2012sierra New Member

I just picked up a new 2012 Sierra with the 5.3 and did this exact muffler on it. I completed a 500 mile road trip over the weekend and I couldn't be happier with the sound. No drone in the cab on the highway and around town but it still has a nice rumble to it when you step on it.
  6. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

i did a regular 40 series with stock pipes on mine, sounds great, very little drone in the cab. i could see the super being more of an issue.

Alex
  7. stchman

I ended up going with a Flowsound 40 (the guy at Midas highly recommended it as it is a clone of the Flowmaster Super 40).

After driving with it, the sound is almost as good as my 2008 Silverado (I had a Flowmaster single to dual exahaust). When the AFM kicks in, you can barely tell audible wise. I just could not stand that stock quiet exhaust.
  8. ron8879

ron8879 New Member

I know this is a older post, but did you end up going with the duel..how have you liked it over the last 3 months and pics would be awesome....thanks
  9. stchman

I stuck with the stock look, the stock exhaust has a chrome exhaust tip with bowtie logo that I really like.

My old 2008 Silverado had a catback dual exhaust that sounded really nice. What I essentially pu on was the same muffler but with a single out instead of a dual out.

The sound is pretty good IMO and I really like it. It is a tad quieter than my 2008, but that's OK. I will have to YouTube it to let everyone on the forum hear it. IIRC the muffler shop charged me $220 for the whole job including muffler.