1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New exhaust system???

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by 08bowtie, Aug 1, 2009.

1. 08bowtie

08bowtie New Member

Will a new exhaust system (aftermarket) 5" give you any better GPM......I mean MPG :rofl: I hear yes and no, what do you guys think?????
  2. heavy chevy

heavy chevy New Member ROTM Winner

I would not think so if you go with that big of a exhaust you would most likely have to put a custom tune on your truck to make up for the loss of back pressure. Then you may get better fuel mileage. I would not suggest anything over a 4 inch tip on a gas burner. Just my .02 cents. I have 3 1/2 inch tips and they sound good and look good. 5 inch tips are a lil bit over the top to me. Good luck and go with a cherry bomb xtream muffler they sound great.
  3. Tdaz250

Tdaz250 New Member

If your looking for MPG gain, Tunes/Programmers are probably the best way to go and will give you the biggest gains for your truck.
  4. knightracer_08

knightracer_08 New Member

my parents have an 03 6.0l and when talking to my exhaust guy about possibly putting a 3'' setup on there he said they have done it b4 and it was so loud that they ended up taking them off for the customers cause they couldnt handle it.
  5. ragin'rado04

ragin'rado04 New Member

Hey Heavy Chevy, how do the extremes compare to the super 44's. I had an Extreme on my ranger and it sounded good but obviously not as good as a v8 would
  6. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

5" is way too big, thas more for diesel of heavily modded engines. If you just go to magnaflow or flowmaster and submit what your vehicle is they will tell you and thats as big as you should go, they do test what they build so its the right size
  7. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 New Member 1000 Posts

you should get a custom tune, cold air intake, long tube headers, and a nice muffler sound you like.

5" would be effin loud though