1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

New flares going on the K5

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by carmantx, May 20, 2012.

1. carmantx

carmantx Member

We finally got a little rain, first time in a year, so we had to go play in the yard. I am building this truck, so this was first time to go through the pit and stuff I have built at my place, and we have some tire rub in extreme situations, so out comes the cutting tools and new flares will soon be installed. I'll post some after pictures when they are on. I've got to cut out the openings first.

[​IMG]
  2. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

What are you building the K5 for? Mudding I assume, or for trail use? Only reason I ask is because if it will see some trail use, the flares may get ripped off by tight areas, or if the tires are wide enough/stick out far enough when flexing, they may even get ripped off then.
  3. sevi084x4

sevi084x4 Rockstar 100 Posts

What brand/type are you going to go with ?
  4. carmantx

carmantx Member

Building it for a fun, yet capable driver. Flares can be replaced if we break them, and, ever heard the term "chicks dig scars". This truck is full of scars, and my wife, even after 30 years of marriage still likes big tires on a lifted truck.
    I got the Bushwacker cut out flares.

Truck was stock when I got it. Added the 4" lift. Built the suspension and brakes fresh. It will get posi carriers, headers, exhaust next.
  5. Jimmeh

My only concern is that those flares aren't exactly cheap, which is why I was just curious what you were using the truck for. I still can't wait to see the finished product.
  6. carmantx

carmantx Member

Ok, flares are on. Just barely any rub now on the front tires with extreme twist in our pit, so we should be in good shape now. Also took the top off. Now for some fun driving. Problem is, my son has claimed the keys. Hmmmm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Jimmeh

Nothing like an older gal with her top off! Looks good!
  8. RallySTX

RallySTX Member 100 Posts

Nice lookin K5 there, I like that step.
    Brian L.
  9. carmantx

carmantx Member

Thanks Brian. Had to put the step on so I could get in it. Being an old fat guy, it was hard for me to get in it.

I do think I need bigger tires now, looking at the pictures. hmmm.

And Jimmeh, wish she was older so her whole top would come off... It's fun to drive. Never rains here, so top is off for the summer. We will be taking this truck up in the mountains in New Mexico in a couple weeks to cruise around on some trails.
  10. RallySTX

RallySTX Member 100 Posts

Don't forget to take a few pix and show us the view of the truck up there. I'm with ya on the weight bit, and like the older trucks too. I hope you can sneak the keys back from your son soon! Once I get my van paid for and fixed, I'm gonna see about putting dual rear wheels on it, with nice stainless flares, side pipes, and rear wing. Hood scoop like the one on Heartbreaker. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1sbaf1wAQs
    Brian L.