1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

new from south texas

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by silvrbeastjr, Apr 30, 2008.

1. silvrbeastjr

silvrbeastjr New Member

well, my name's stephen, and to tell the truth i own a dodge dakota. but i have a friend that knows nothing about trucks and wants my help (we're both 17, but i'm pretty handy in the mechanical area).

He just bought a 08 1500 silverado 2wd with the 4.8L V8. so far from what i've researched i've found that the 4.8 is a trusty little engine.

look forward to making new friends here and learning about this Chevy.

BTW, my brother is a master technician at a Chevy dealership.

i already put a flowmaster 50 series on for him because i just had it laying around for free, and he doesnt' want to spend a whole lot of money on exhaust.

he (and I) wants to know some good upgrades for this engine. of course the intakes, chips, etc., but what brands do yall prefer? he heard from someone that putting a CAI on will throw codes.....is this possible? my truck doesn't, but then again, its a totally different animal.

thanks in advance for any help!!
    stephen
  2. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

first of all :sign0016:.... as for CAI throwing codes i have never seen that once before but they are a great upgrade. at GMTC it seems people have been preferring K&N or Volant for intakes... for exhaust its Flowmaster and magnaflow. as for chips its been hypertech and are a worthy upgrade for power and increased MPG. there are many people here with that same truck and engine and will help you out with whatever you need just dont hesitate to ask!!
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  3. Davandy

Davandy Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site :sign0016:
  4. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site! You are doing a very great thing by helping your buddy out like this.
  5. finalday7

finalday7 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome. I have an 07 with the 4.8 and added a hypertech max energy programmer to it along with a few other things. It added a great deal of performance and almost 3 more mpg if he's interested it's a good buy.
  6. silvrbeastjr

silvrbeastjr New Member

cool. thanks for all the help. i have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done to get good performance, i just am interested in what brands have been preferred and i thank yall for telling me!

for the dakota everyone says to get the superchips programmer and not the hypertech so i'm glad i'm asking some experienced people. i'll be lurking around to find out more!

thanks guys!
  7. omegafiler

omegafiler New Member

Welcome to the forum. Most folks are fairly happy with the common brands for performance stuff, CAI, Tunes, Exhaust, etc. I'd just search around and have fun!