New Garage Feature - Enter Your Vehicles!

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by ChevyFan, Sep 27, 2012.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

Ok, you asked for it and it's here. Please check out the new Garage feature and start to fill it up with information related to your rides!

Update: We're going to kick this off with a grand opening of the garage feature by giving away some cool stuff to a couple of folks who make garage entries. Details to come.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

Coolest new feature ever!
  3. ChevyFan

There is a style issue. The photos should not all be left-aligned. I'm working on fixing it right now.
  4. Conlan Rose

Yah I didn't think that was how it should look.
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

Do we have the ability to perform unlimited editing to our own posts within our own garage any time we like? If not, it's like parking our trucks in a garage that prohibits us from working on them any time we like.

I figured I'd check before I took the time to pull into the garage...
  6. Conlan Rose

You can edit when ever from what it looks like.
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

I believe that, right now, there's a 24 hour window during which you can edit most posts ... after which editing is closed. I want to make sure that's not true for the Garage. It's not been around for 24 hours, though ... so I'm curious if you've read something, elsewhere, that I missed?
  8. ChevyFan

I don't know why we would limit editing these, it's not an public thread, it's all about your vehicle so it should be able to be edited forever by you. No one else has access to edit your info.
  9. ChevyFan

Ok, the formatting issue is fixed. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's garage photos!
  10. ChevyFan

Argh, I sent out an email about the new feature and somehow the email throttle got turned off so they all dumped out at one instance! It's killing the server, sorry people. Hopefully it will just be 30 minutes or less and it will all process.
  11. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

Heh, I figured something was up, as the site bottomed out. Thanks for the heads-up.
  12. the phantom

the phantom New Member

Im unable to upload any images. It says unsupported file format. My file is a Jpeg image with a .jpg extension and is under the maximum size so not sure whats wrong.
  13. ChevyFan

Ok, I'll have a look at this. Probably a quick fix.

Also, I made the thumbnails bigger and it's making the bottom image wrap-around a bit too much for my taste, but I'll work on that in the future.
  14. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator

Larger thumbnails are definitely a better thing in my opinion. It fills the page out nicer.
  15. the phantom

the phantom New Member

I was able to add pictures from photobucket with a url but still could not upload jpeg images under the max size. Using the url method I had to delete the prefilled http www. because when I copy the url in photobucket this is already included in the copy. It errors out otherwise. It would be cool to be able to have more images available for exterior, maybe taking away from wheels and tires or underhood image spots if possible. Nice new feature of GMTC I like it.
  16. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

Any idea if it'll take images from our albums using the URLs to our albums? I'm asking because I don't want to fool with IMG tags or re-uploading ... and I especially don't want to have to upload to photobucket then snag the URL from there to the garage. That's like having to pull into your parking space and then move your packing space into the garage!
  17. the phantom

the phantom New Member

Agreed, thats what I did and kind of a pita. I tried copy shortcut on my album pictures and it also wouldnt work. Said it could not open that type url. Hopefully some of the bugs will get worked out.
  18. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

Thanks for the insight. I'll wait for Steve to fix the Garage to allow us to use our album images before creating a Garage, as I don't want to go through the upload hassle again. (I have a lot of pics in albums due to reviews and the like.)
  19. ChevyFan

Well, that's a feature request, not a fix. I'm not a programmer but I can figure out how to move things around.

You can copy the URL from your own photo albums and place it into the garage inside the "URL to Image" box. That does work, and seeing how there are only fields for 22 photos it's not going to take much more time to do that then for me to figure out a way to connect these different systems together. Although, that would be a nice feature, it's not the way this garage feature works. Probably will take most users an extra 5 minutes for all of their images.

Already Have Images In Your Albums on GMTC?
    Just go to the photo that you want to add to the garage and copy the URL (not the BB code) link for the image and then place that into the "URL to Image" field on the Garage image selector.
    album to garage.jpg

Then paste it into here:
    testing   GMTC   Chevy Truck Forum.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  20. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member

i might get around to this at some point....

had a thought on this, maybe break the garage down a bit? year ranges or maybe body style? tahoes then suburbans and so on, dunno, just a thought.

thanks for adding it steve.

Alex