New Garage Feature - Enter Your Vehicles!

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by ChevyFan, Sep 27, 2012.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

There are some menu tools for the garage that will help do some of this, but I have to install another software package first and that's not such an easy task, etc. I'll let everyone know when I get some more time to take a look into adding in more features to this all.

2. ChevyFan

... I'm going to have to hire a css code expert to help me make a good looking layout for the garage function. Please be patient.

Everything works the way it's supposed to, it's just that I have the latest version of the forum software and the garage was designed to work up to the last version ... and there have been some significant changes to the way that the vehicles are displayed.

3. CdnGMan

CdnGMan New Member

By completing our garages, are we automagically entered into the contest or will we have to do something else?? :great:

4. ChevyFan

ok, I'm seeing a lot of "deleted garages" as I look at this from the admin perspective. Is there a bug where they are not being saved properly? Maybe something where people are deleting them on accident?

Please see if your garage is showing properly ... I want to get this right but have to do it one step at a time.

Member Garages.jpg

5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I deleted mine when images weren't pulling properly from my albums when linked. You've since responded to that report but I've not made time to take another stab.

I have to be really bored to do it, just as I have to be really bored for signature mods. (I'll tweak my signature once my garage is set up, by the way...)

6. ChevyFan

What didn't work? I was able to get my tests to work instantly with not any problems at all. I opened up the album, selected a photo, copied the URL listed on the page (not the browser URL mind you ... and not the BB code either) ... then I pasted that into the URL to Image and it worked instantly.

7. SurrealOne

I had used the browser URL and it was merely a black square that came up for the image. Then I tried the BBcode since that had worked elsewhere on the site. Basically I tried everything -except- what you used because the things I tried I'd been able to use on the site in other places and things tend to be consistent. So much for that theory. :)

8. ChevyFan

Not to get too much off topic (too late) but the hard part I have in running this is that there is a core system (vBulletin) with a bunch of plug-ins. The "garage" feature is a plug-in system, so it's not part of the core package. So, when you make a post in a thread and copy the URL for a specific image from the album ... that's all vBulletin, so it can probably make sense of it. However, when you take that same browser-level image url, and try to show that as an actual Image URL (which is it not, it's a database call) then it's not able to handle it.

9. SurrealOne

Yup, it's a common problem among module makers. I've encountered it on both PHBBNuke and DotNetNuke systems I've run. My approach was always to revise the modules to provide end-user consistency. That was on free, hobbyist sites that had no revenue but fairly sizable populations. It's time consuming ... but given your focus on improvement and normalization of the end-user look/feel/experience, here, perhaps similar adjustments are on your radar for either you or your hired hands?