1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

New GMC Sierra owner - some dumb questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by carbon black, May 25, 2012.

1. carbon black

carbon black Member

I've recently purchased a 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab with the 5.3 engine and have a couple of dumb questions:

1) As I've always changed my own motor oil and oil filter, today I crawled under the trucl to take a look for the oil filter and oil drain plug, I noticed that the drain plug is on the side of the pan - which means that when it's removed, the oil will come out horizontally and with many body parts in close proximity - I'm just wondering how this can be done without having oil all over the place

2) On this truck, there is about a 3" plastic piece attached below the front bumper - What purpose does this piece serve ?? It definitely reduces ground clearance as I nearly rip it off on a parking lot curb stop. I'm thinking of taking it off cause I can see me acting as a snow plow in the winter

Thank you

2. JnBama

JnBama Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

better be careful with that drainplug seems somebody posted it's made of soft metal and will strip and I'm not sure but may need a special socket

3. redvett

redvett Member

When you first pull the plug hold the pan up close to the drain for a minute and then set it on the floor.
    The air dam is there to help fuel economy and removing it will hurt it some.

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The airdam as was pointed out diverts air under the truck to increase MPG, how much is one for the engineers to answer.
    Another reason for the air dam is it assists in engine cooling, helps to create a low pressure area behind the bumper for air to pass through and help cool the engine, again how much is for the engineers to answer.
    A few people have removed the airdam and not noticed any negative affects.
    I watched the mechanics at the Chevy garage change my oil yesterday (first oil change was free, probably do it myself from there on) and they held the pan up close to the oil drain hole at first then let it down, afterwards he sprayed a degreaser on the area splashed with oil to clean it.

5. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I have personally removed the air dam from all three of my NNBS trucks with zero negative effects. In fact, my 08 gets better mileage than most people are posting as it is. IMO: its just something else to cause wind drag that your truck has to put power out to make up for... screw engineers. I have to deal with engineers' behind a desk making orders that don't make any sense and actually cause problems out in the field every day for the most part haha... so.. yeah. School/desk time is no comparison to actual application of knowledge.

6. carbon black

carbon black Member

Thanks to all - your responses have been very helpful.

I ended up removing the air dam cause when I looked at it more closely (after hitting the curb stop), I noticed that the screw on the driver's side was ripped out and so the air dam was flapping in the wind. With my truck only being a 2WD, that air dam really lessens the front end clearance.

I wonder which engineering genius decided to put the drain plug where they did - probably never tried changing the oil themselves

7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

He's an engineer he makes enough money to hire fools like us to do that for him.

8. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I've changed my oil a number of times, and never had an issue. The wind will blow it once in awhile, but that's about the only problem I've ever had.

9. redvett

redvett Member

Better aerodynamics equals less wind resistance and better fuel mileage, the wind tunnel does not lie. The less air that goes under the vehicle = less turbulence from under chassis components to slow the vehicle down.

10. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

...I just lowered mine to make up for the space the valance took up, so I therefore didn't lose any aerodynamic "points". I WIN! :rofl: haha, jk. Yes simple aerodynamic laws will state that you're correct. But... we drive trucks.. not Ford Fiestas. MPG goes out the window with the convenience and security of being larger than those opposing forces coming towards us who only pay 45$ to fill up. And my truck (although it's becoming close) isn't fast enough to have to worry about air getting under it, causing upwards pressure and losing traction. And once it IS that fast, Ill have my bed cover I just won on here and my RST wing installed already anyways. So that, too, is cancelled out. Right?! :lol: