1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

New Guy and 1st time GM owner

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by mikey3809, Nov 17, 2008.

1. mikey3809

mikey3809 New Member

Well my dad has disowned me (not really) because I broke the family tradition of owning Ford trucks and bought a new 08 GMC Crew Cab. Absolutely love it so far, although I've only had it since Saturday. I never knew trucks could ride so smooth.

I already did the Ready Lift leveling kit (although it only raised it one inch, not the 1.5 inches it was marketed), so it still sits about 5/8 of an inch low in the front, but much better than stock and it was cake to install, took 1.5 hr for both sides start to finish. Directions were fantastic. I also put the Billet grill, vent visors and tinted the windows this weekend. I've got a couple more things to do over the next couple days and will post pics once I get them done.

I have a few things to through out for some feedback:
    1 - Is anyone interested in the tires? They are the stock 6 lug, 20" Goodyears (I think 285/55). I want the 305/50 Nitto Grapplers. I would also consider a trade for smaller rims with 33" Nittos on them.
    2 - I would like to take the GMC logo off the front and paint it black, does anyone know how? I've done this on a couple trucks in the past and recently did it for a buddy who had a 07 Avalanche and an 06 Chevy HD. Both of them had a clip on the back of it (on a post) that could be taken off with a socket. Mine has the posts, but nothing holding it, so I assume the chrome piece with the red insert is just glued in place, but didn't want to rip it off and break it.
    3 - I need a louder exhaust, this stock one sounds like a car. I don't want the loudness of a flowmaster and prefer a throaty, less aggressive tone. I had a Raven exhaust on my last ford, but wanted some input on what you are doing with the GM motors.
    4 - Can anyone tell me how to splice into my speakers to add a sub under the back seat? I haven't messed with car stereos in since I was a kid, 15 yrs ago, and then it was completely new system installs.

Thanks for any help and looking forward to being able to contribute some value once I get a little more familiar with GM.

2. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

:sign0016: to the forum! Congrats on the new ride! Sounds like you're off to a great start!

There have been several posts about painting emblems. There's even a step-by-step run down in the Write-up section: How To: Black out your bow tie It's not a GMC emblem, but the application should be similar.

As far as exhaust goes, I've been very happy with my Magnaflow set-up. I just got a Magnaflow muffler replacement and 18" chrome echo tip. It gave it a nice, mellow tone and definite boost in performance, all for a little over $200. Here's a link to a thread where I posted a video clip along with some other people: Exhaust video Mine is a crappy quality clip, but gives an idea.

I had a similar question about installing a sub to a factory stereo. Here is the info I got: Subwoofer and amp on a stock stereo?

Hope all that helps!

3. raisor87

raisor87 Rockstar 100 Posts

:sign0016: not really worth while spicing into factory spend some money get a head unit amp and sub you'll be much happier and slightly deaf

4. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

welcome! glad to have you! :sign0016:

I would not recomend the Nittos, many on here wil agree w me .. there a soft tire and not worth much off the pavment:no:

5. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site!

6. mikey3809

mikey3809 New Member

Thanks

Thanks for the welcomes and info, I appreciate it and keep it coming. Like the site so far and look forward to many years to come.

7. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!

8. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site.

I agree about the nitto tires they are soft. Abuddy of mine has them on his HD 2500 crew cab and he is regretting them. They are already wearing fast.

The stereo though is another issue. I would just replace it with new components. Splicing would be the cheapest way to go but if you want quality just replace the head unit and add an amp and sub. Factory units even if they have a brand name (i.e. Bose, JBL, etc.) are not the same as aftermarket units. It is like buying dewalt tools at Home depot. They look like Dewalt and have the name on it but the internals are not the same as if you were to buy from a dealer or directly from Dewalt. It is all marketing.

So just replace the whole stereo system you'll be happier in the end.

9. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Wow, it looks like you didn't waste any time at all modding your truck! Welcome to the site, look forward to your participation.

10. mikey3809

mikey3809 New Member

Logo removal

:party:
    I figured out how to get the logo off the GMC vehicles. There are 4 tabs on the back (2 in between the G/M and 2 between the M/C) that push through the grill and hold in place. All you need to do is push each tab out from the back. Different than the Chevy ones, but just as easy.